Mar 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EST
It took a while, but eventually No. 2 Villanova pulled away from upset-minded Milwaukee, beating the Panthers 73-53.
The win will send the Wildcats to the Round of 32, where they will be squaring off with old Big East foe UConn, the No. 7 seed in the East Region. The Huskies survived overtime against No. 10 St. Joseph’s earlier tonight.
Darrun Hilliard led five players in double-figures with 16 points and Kris Jenkins added 11 off the bench, hitting 3-of-4 from beyond the arc in the second half. The rest of the Wildcats were 1-for-19 from beyond the arc.
That would have been a problem if Villanova was playing anyone else. You see, the Wildcats rely on the three-ball as much as any other team in the country, taking almost 45% of their field goal attempts from beyond the arc. The night’s when those threes aren’t going down are the nights that they can be beaten.
Jay Wright is certainly thankful that his team got their off-night out of the way before going up against Shabazz Napier.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 1
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)