Mar 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EST
It took a while, but eventually No. 2 Villanova pulled away from upset-minded Milwaukee, beating the Panthers 73-53.
The win will send the Wildcats to the Round of 32, where they will be squaring off with old Big East foe UConn, the No. 7 seed in the East Region. The Huskies survived overtime against No. 10 St. Joseph’s earlier tonight.
Darrun Hilliard led five players in double-figures with 16 points and Kris Jenkins added 11 off the bench, hitting 3-of-4 from beyond the arc in the second half. The rest of the Wildcats were 1-for-19 from beyond the arc.
That would have been a problem if Villanova was playing anyone else. You see, the Wildcats rely on the three-ball as much as any other team in the country, taking almost 45% of their field goal attempts from beyond the arc. The night’s when those threes aren’t going down are the nights that they can be beaten.
Jay Wright is certainly thankful that his team got their off-night out of the way before going up against Shabazz Napier.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)