Mar 21, 2014, 12:43 PM EST
Former UConn head coach Jim Calhoun has “significant” interest in the vacant Boston College head coaching position, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
Calhoun is a native of Braintree, MA, just outside of Boston, and began his coaching tenure at Northeastern.
The head coaching position at Boston College came open this week when Steve Donahue and the school parted ways. According to Adrian Wojnarowski, the interest isn’t mutual.
Calhoun retired in August of 2012 after a myriad of health complications. He’s beaten cancer three times and has twice had to undergo surgery as the result of injuries sustained in biking accidents. He had surgery on his back in February of 2012, his final season as UConn’s coach, and officially retired after he needed surgery to repair a broken hip.
Calhoun spent 26 years at UConn, has a career record of 873-380 and is one of just eight coaches with 800 career wins.
What makes this report so intriguing is that there is a lot of bad blood between UConn, particularly Calhoun, and Boston College. Calhoun was not happy with BC when the school made the decision to leave the Big East for the ACC back in 2003, and there are quite a few people out there that believe it was BC that was the most vocal opponent of UConn’s inclusion into the ACC during the most recent round of conference realignment.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)