Mar 21, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
The NCAA tournament game between New Mexico State and San Diego State didn’t tip until 11:03 PM eastern time (8:03 PT time), and when the game finally ended — an overtime affair won by the Aztecs, 83-73 — it was well into the evening. When asked during the post-game presser why SDSU didn’t post double on Sim Bhullar, coach Steve Fisher instead broke character and chastised the NCAA for forcing the losing team to leave the regional site immediately.
Some choice quotes:
- We don’t want to go home tonight. It’s 10 minutes after 11. By the time you get back to the hotel, did they want us to tell our kids pack your bags and if we win we’ll go back?
- It’s disgraceful. For the billions of dollars that we have here, for them not to find a way to accommodate these kids, the student athletes. You can’t tell me they couldn’t find charter planes.
- …we can say we want to do all these things for the benefit of the student athletes, but you play a game like we did tonight and you get to the airport at 1 in the morning?
- I would like to have every, every go from the top up administratively, have them at a site and allow and say you’re going to ride home with that losing team … It shouldn’t happen.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)