Mar 21, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
The NCAA tournament game between New Mexico State and San Diego State didn’t tip until 11:03 PM eastern time (8:03 PT time), and when the game finally ended — an overtime affair won by the Aztecs, 83-73 — it was well into the evening. When asked during the post-game presser why SDSU didn’t post double on Sim Bhullar, coach Steve Fisher instead broke character and chastised the NCAA for forcing the losing team to leave the regional site immediately.
Some choice quotes:
- We don’t want to go home tonight. It’s 10 minutes after 11. By the time you get back to the hotel, did they want us to tell our kids pack your bags and if we win we’ll go back?
- It’s disgraceful. For the billions of dollars that we have here, for them not to find a way to accommodate these kids, the student athletes. You can’t tell me they couldn’t find charter planes.
- …we can say we want to do all these things for the benefit of the student athletes, but you play a game like we did tonight and you get to the airport at 1 in the morning?
- I would like to have every, every go from the top up administratively, have them at a site and allow and say you’re going to ride home with that losing team … It shouldn’t happen.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)