Mar 21, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Earlier this week, Deadspin published a piece outlining how a Virginia fan conned his way onto the UVA bench for the entirety of the team’s ACC tournament final win against Duke. During the media sessions prior to Virginia’s opening tournament game against Coastal Carolina, Bennett spoke about the offending fan, who even snuck onto the post-game handshake line and slapped palms with Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.
According to Bennett, “Honest to gosh, I noticed the guy, for some reason I noticed him once or twice during the game. He was near, but I thought that’s probably the coliseum security they have during the game. When the celebration came on and I saw the guy when our guys were bouncing and saying ‘Hoos,’ and he was in there, I thought maybe he’s somebody’s son, somebody close to the program … Ronnie Wideman [assistant AD for men's basketball administration] said: ‘Hey, are you with us? What’s the story?’ I can’t remember, but it was obviously kind of funny … Obviously, he’s getting a lot of play out of it, but glad he could enjoy some of the celebration. I’m sure his friends are giving him high-fives. I doubt that will happen again.”
For only the price of a suit and an orange tie from Walmart, the fan was able to dap Coach K, get ACC tournament swag, and take a selfie with the ACC tournament trophy.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015’s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)