Mar 21, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Earlier this week, Deadspin published a piece outlining how a Virginia fan conned his way onto the UVA bench for the entirety of the team’s ACC tournament final win against Duke. During the media sessions prior to Virginia’s opening tournament game against Coastal Carolina, Bennett spoke about the offending fan, who even snuck onto the post-game handshake line and slapped palms with Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.
According to Bennett, “Honest to gosh, I noticed the guy, for some reason I noticed him once or twice during the game. He was near, but I thought that’s probably the coliseum security they have during the game. When the celebration came on and I saw the guy when our guys were bouncing and saying ‘Hoos,’ and he was in there, I thought maybe he’s somebody’s son, somebody close to the program … Ronnie Wideman [assistant AD for men's basketball administration] said: ‘Hey, are you with us? What’s the story?’ I can’t remember, but it was obviously kind of funny … Obviously, he’s getting a lot of play out of it, but glad he could enjoy some of the celebration. I’m sure his friends are giving him high-fives. I doubt that will happen again.”
For only the price of a suit and an orange tie from Walmart, the fan was able to dap Coach K, get ACC tournament swag, and take a selfie with the ACC tournament trophy.
- Latest mixtape for Dennis Smith Jr. shows how talented he is (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1