Mar 21, 2014, 10:07 AM EST
Earlier this week, Deadspin published a piece outlining how a Virginia fan conned his way onto the UVA bench for the entirety of the team’s ACC tournament final win against Duke. During the media sessions prior to Virginia’s opening tournament game against Coastal Carolina, Bennett spoke about the offending fan, who even snuck onto the post-game handshake line and slapped palms with Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski.
According to Bennett, “Honest to gosh, I noticed the guy, for some reason I noticed him once or twice during the game. He was near, but I thought that’s probably the coliseum security they have during the game. When the celebration came on and I saw the guy when our guys were bouncing and saying ‘Hoos,’ and he was in there, I thought maybe he’s somebody’s son, somebody close to the program … Ronnie Wideman [assistant AD for men’s basketball administration] said: ‘Hey, are you with us? What’s the story?’ I can’t remember, but it was obviously kind of funny … Obviously, he’s getting a lot of play out of it, but glad he could enjoy some of the celebration. I’m sure his friends are giving him high-fives. I doubt that will happen again.”
For only the price of a suit and an orange tie from Walmart, the fan was able to dap Coach K, get ACC tournament swag, and take a selfie with the ACC tournament trophy.
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)