Mar 22, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
One of the concerns for No. 8 seed Kentucky as they head into their battle with No. 1 seed Wichita State in the most-highly anticipated game of the tournament to date is the status of Andrew Harrison’s elbow.
Harrison hurt the elbow in the second half of Kentucky’s win over Kansas State on Friday night. He tried to swipe at the ball defensively and appeared to hyperextend his elbow in the process, but if Harrison is able to play, he seems determined to make that happen.
When asked if he was planning on playing, he answered, “Yes, sir,” while adding “It’s in some pain,” he said, “but I’ve just been icing it, and my coaches have been taking good care of me. We’ll just take it day by day.”
Kentucky head coach John Calipari essentially said that Harrison will be in the lineup as long as it’s obvious that he’s not injured.
“What if he’s 70 percent and I see it, and I say, `We can’t win with a guy at 70 percent?” he told reporters. “I think he’s going to be all right, but we have to prepare. What happens if he doesn’t play? What happens if he’s 70 percent and he doesn’t play? He looks good. I think he’ll be fine.”
Losing Harrison would be a major blow, as he’s not only the teams starting — and only recruited — point guard, but he’s also been playing his best basketball of the season of late.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)