Mar 22, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
One of the concerns for No. 8 seed Kentucky as they head into their battle with No. 1 seed Wichita State in the most-highly anticipated game of the tournament to date is the status of Andrew Harrison’s elbow.
Harrison hurt the elbow in the second half of Kentucky’s win over Kansas State on Friday night. He tried to swipe at the ball defensively and appeared to hyperextend his elbow in the process, but if Harrison is able to play, he seems determined to make that happen.
When asked if he was planning on playing, he answered, “Yes, sir,” while adding “It’s in some pain,” he said, “but I’ve just been icing it, and my coaches have been taking good care of me. We’ll just take it day by day.”
Kentucky head coach John Calipari essentially said that Harrison will be in the lineup as long as it’s obvious that he’s not injured.
“What if he’s 70 percent and I see it, and I say, `We can’t win with a guy at 70 percent?” he told reporters. “I think he’s going to be all right, but we have to prepare. What happens if he doesn’t play? What happens if he’s 70 percent and he doesn’t play? He looks good. I think he’ll be fine.”
Losing Harrison would be a major blow, as he’s not only the teams starting — and only recruited — point guard, but he’s also been playing his best basketball of the season of late.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)