Mar 22, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
One of the concerns for No. 8 seed Kentucky as they head into their battle with No. 1 seed Wichita State in the most-highly anticipated game of the tournament to date is the status of Andrew Harrison’s elbow.
Harrison hurt the elbow in the second half of Kentucky’s win over Kansas State on Friday night. He tried to swipe at the ball defensively and appeared to hyperextend his elbow in the process, but if Harrison is able to play, he seems determined to make that happen.
When asked if he was planning on playing, he answered, “Yes, sir,” while adding “It’s in some pain,” he said, “but I’ve just been icing it, and my coaches have been taking good care of me. We’ll just take it day by day.”
Kentucky head coach John Calipari essentially said that Harrison will be in the lineup as long as it’s obvious that he’s not injured.
“What if he’s 70 percent and I see it, and I say, `We can’t win with a guy at 70 percent?” he told reporters. “I think he’s going to be all right, but we have to prepare. What happens if he doesn’t play? What happens if he’s 70 percent and he doesn’t play? He looks good. I think he’ll be fine.”
Losing Harrison would be a major blow, as he’s not only the teams starting — and only recruited — point guard, but he’s also been playing his best basketball of the season of late.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)