Mar 22, 2014, 2:58 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 12 Stephen F. Austin 77, No. 5 VCU 75 OT
The Lumberjacks saw a 10-point second half disappear as VCU went on a 20-3 run in the blink of an eye, but Stephen F. Austin was able to erase a 10 point VCU lead in the final minutes to force overtime. The biggest shot of the night came from Desmond Hayman, who buried a three while getting fouled with just 3.6 seconds left. The teams traded baskets in the extra frame, but JeQuan Lewis missed a wide-open look at a three as the buzzer sounded. SFA will advance to face No. 4 seed UCLA, if they ever stop dancing.
1. No. 14 Mercer 78, No. 3 Duke 71: Stephen F. Austin weren’t the only ones dancing on Friday as the Bears handed Duke their second loss to a double-digit seed in the last three season. The Bears took advantage of off nights from Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker, who combined for 6-for-24 from the floor, and attacked them on the defensive end of the floor. Jakob Gollom led the way with 20 points for the Bears.
2. No. 6 North Carolina 79, No. 11 Providence 77: Bryce Cotton went off for 36 points and eight assists, but the Friars could do nothing to keep North Carolina off of the offensive glass, giving up three offensive rebounds on the final possession of the game alone. Marcus Paige finished with 19 points for the Tar Heels.
3. No. 3 Iowa State 93, No. 14 N.C.-Central 75: Iowa State won and advanced, but the biggest news of the day was that Georges Niang’s season came to an end with he broke a bone in his foot. That’s a massive blow for the Cyclones.
1. Jarnell Stokes, Tennessee: The big fella finished with 26 points and 14 boards as No. 11 Tennessee knocked off No. 6 UMass in a blowout.
2. Doug McDermott, Creighton: Ho-hum, just another 30-point, 12-rebound performance from McDermott for the No. 3 seed Bluejays in a win over No. 14 Louisiana-Lafayette.
3. Julius Randle, Kentucky: Randle scored 19 points and grabbed 15 boards as No. 8 Kentucky knocked off No. 9 Kansas State.
1. Alex Kirk and Kendall Williams, New Mexico: Two of No. 7 New Mexico’s three best players combined for six points on 1-for-12 shooting from the floor in a 58-53 loss to No. 10 Stanford.
2. Le’Bryan Nash, Oklahoma State: Nash was 2-for-5 from the floor and played just 17 minutes before fouling out as the No. 9 seed Cowboys lost to No. 8 Gonzaga.
3. Nebraska: The Cornhuskers were 4-for-21 from three, Tim Miles got ejected and the 74-60 loss was much closer than the game seemed. That’s bad.
- Josh Pastner picked up the second tournament win of his Memphis career by beating No. 9 George Washington.
- Jamari Traylor went off for 17 points and 14 boards as Kansas overcame a slow start to beat No. 15 Eastern Kentucky.
- Virginia got a scare, but the top seed in the East knocked off Coastal Carolina.
- Cleanthony Early scored 23 points and No. 1 Wichita State rolled.
- Jordan Adams led No. 4 UCLA past No. 13 Tulsa.
- It was closer than it should have been, but Arizona survived Weber State.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Mount St. Mary’s rewarded head coach Jamion Christian with an extension.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Gonzaga has one of its deepest teams of all time and the Bulldogs are challenging themselves with a difficult non-conference schedule.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Bradley forward Auston Barnes has been charged with misdemeanor domestic battery following an August arrest.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt and head coach Jamie Dixon no longer hold a commitment from a former 2016 recruit.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
A three-star forward has four schools that are heavily involved.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Matt McQuaid can really light it up from the perimeter.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman is ranked the No. 10 overall recruit by Rivals.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kentucky fans camped out on Monday in order to officially camp out for tickets on Wednesday morning.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rhode Island forward is eligible after missing the 2013-2014 season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
He was arrested on Feb. 14.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yellow Jackets have added two new assistant to the coaching staff this offseason.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The Orange holds the first of two exhibition games on Nov. 2.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product picked the Gamecocks over Seton Hall and Rhode Island.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Interestingly enough, UAB visits Chattanooga December 22.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Thought the recent debate about USA Basketball and advantages gained by college coaches was getting tiresome?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Fortune Magazine has the Krzyzewski and Staley ranked 20th (along with San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich) on the list.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
The NCAA is hoping to have two lawsuits dismissed, with the plaintiffs in those suits arguing otherwise. And three U.S. senators voiced their displeasure with the lack of progress being made by the NCAA.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Lorenzo Romar spoke positively of Robert Upshaw’s progress, and with the Huskies’ lack of interior depth the Fresno State transfer will be a key figure this season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)