Mar 22, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Mercer, the No. 14 seed in the Midwest Region, advanced to the Round of 32, to play No. 11 seed Tennessee, following a massive upset win over No. 3 seed Duke.
Despite moving on in the NCAA tournament, the Bears will be without senior reserve center Monty Brown. The 6-foot-11 Brown suffered a concussion during Friday afternoon’s game against Duke, according to a report from Rachel Nichols.
Nichols reported that Brown will miss Sunday’s contest against the Volunteers and at the moment he is, “staying in dark room; doesn’t remember game at all.”
Brown played just four minutes on Friday, and averages 4.5 points and 2.4 rebounds in less than 10 minutes per game this season for Mercer. Still, the Bears will need as much help as they can get on the frontline, especially against the Tennessee duo of Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon, who controlled the paint in an 86-67 win over UMass on Friday.
Stokes scored a career-high 26 points, while Maymon added 11. The two combined to grab 25 of Tennessee’s 37 rebounds.
The Mercer-Tennessee game is scheduled to tip at 6:10 on Sunday evening.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)