Mar 22, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Mercer, the No. 14 seed in the Midwest Region, advanced to the Round of 32, to play No. 11 seed Tennessee, following a massive upset win over No. 3 seed Duke.
Despite moving on in the NCAA tournament, the Bears will be without senior reserve center Monty Brown. The 6-foot-11 Brown suffered a concussion during Friday afternoon’s game against Duke, according to a report from Rachel Nichols.
Nichols reported that Brown will miss Sunday’s contest against the Volunteers and at the moment he is, “staying in dark room; doesn’t remember game at all.”
Brown played just four minutes on Friday, and averages 4.5 points and 2.4 rebounds in less than 10 minutes per game this season for Mercer. Still, the Bears will need as much help as they can get on the frontline, especially against the Tennessee duo of Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon, who controlled the paint in an 86-67 win over UMass on Friday.
Stokes scored a career-high 26 points, while Maymon added 11. The two combined to grab 25 of Tennessee’s 37 rebounds.
The Mercer-Tennessee game is scheduled to tip at 6:10 on Sunday evening.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)