Mar 22, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Mercer, the No. 14 seed in the Midwest Region, advanced to the Round of 32, to play No. 11 seed Tennessee, following a massive upset win over No. 3 seed Duke.
Despite moving on in the NCAA tournament, the Bears will be without senior reserve center Monty Brown. The 6-foot-11 Brown suffered a concussion during Friday afternoon’s game against Duke, according to a report from Rachel Nichols.
Nichols reported that Brown will miss Sunday’s contest against the Volunteers and at the moment he is, “staying in dark room; doesn’t remember game at all.”
Brown played just four minutes on Friday, and averages 4.5 points and 2.4 rebounds in less than 10 minutes per game this season for Mercer. Still, the Bears will need as much help as they can get on the frontline, especially against the Tennessee duo of Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon, who controlled the paint in an 86-67 win over UMass on Friday.
Stokes scored a career-high 26 points, while Maymon added 11. The two combined to grab 25 of Tennessee’s 37 rebounds.
The Mercer-Tennessee game is scheduled to tip at 6:10 on Sunday evening.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0