Mar 22, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
SATURDAY’S SCHEDULE (All times EST)
12:15 p.m.: No. 1 Florida vs. No. 9 Pittsburgh (CBS)
2:45 p.m.: No. 4 Louisville vs. No. 5 Saint Louis (CBS)
5:15 p.m.: No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 7 Texas (CBS)
6:10 p.m.: No. 4 San Diego State vs. No. 12 North Dakota State (TNT)
7:10 p.m.: No. 3 Syracuse vs. No. 11 Dayton (TBS)
7:45 p.m.: No. 2 Wisconsin vs. No. 7 Oregon (CBS)
8:40 p.m.: No. 4 Michigan State vs. No. 12 Harvard (TNT)
9:40 p.m.: No. 2 Villanova vs. No. 7 UConn (TBS)
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 2 Villanova vs. No. 7 UConn
One year after seeing their time as conference foes come to an end thanks to realignment, the Wildcats and Huskies will meet in Buffalo with a trip to Madison Square Garden for next week’s East Regional on the line. The guard play will be entertaining to say the least, with UConn being led by Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright and Villanova countering with Ryan Arcidiacono, James Bell and Darrun Hilliard. The question for UConn to answer: how will they account for JayVaughn Pinkston in the front court after struggling to contain Saint Joseph’s Halil Kanacevic on Thursday? The answer to this question may determine the outcome.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE DAY: No. 2 Wisconsin vs. No. 7 Oregon
Wisconsin has proven to be more capable of playing at a higher pace this season, and that will make for an interesting matchup with Oregon in Milwaukee. Frank Kaminsky was a first team All-Big Ten selection, with his ability to score both inside and out being one reason why. He’ll face an Oregon front court led by Mike Moser, who’s improved play over the last month helped spark the Oregon turnaround. As for the perimeter play Oregon’s corps of quick guards is led by junior Joseph Young, who’s averaging 18.6 points per game, and Wisconsin will need to keep this group in check if they’re to advance to the Sweet 16.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: No. 4 San Diego State (vs. No. 12 North Dakota State)
This matchup may be an issue for the Aztecs, whose ability to attack the basket off the dribble will be challenged by North Dakota State’s pack line defense. With the amount of attention Xavier Thames is bound to receive, the production of reserves Dwayne Polee II and Matt Shrigley will be something to keep an eye on with Polee playing well of late. NDSU will counter with four players averaging double figures led by guard Taylor Braun, and on both ends of the floor they’ve got the skill needed to make life difficult for the Aztecs.
THREE KEY INDIVIDUAL MATCHUPS:
- No. 1 Florida vs. No. 9 Pittsburgh: Florida’s Scottie Wilbekin has been one of the best point guards in the country, and Pittsburgh will need James Robinson to match his effort if they’re to upset the top overall seed.
- No. 4 Louisville vs. No. 5 Saint Louis: It’s going to be fun watching Saint Louis’ physical guard Jordair Jett do his best to corral Louisville’s Russ Smith.
- No. 4 Michigan State vs. No. 12 Harvard: How Harvard’s Steve Moundou Missi deals with Michigan State’s Adreian Payne will determine just how much of a chance the Crimson have of advancing to their first-ever Sweet 16.
- No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 7 Texas: Texas had the most dramatic win of the Round of 64, beating Arizona State at the buzzer on a Cameron Ridley basket. The question for the Longhorns against Michigan is whether or not their perimeter can outperform Michigan’s backcourt led by Nik Stauskas and Caris LeVert.
- No. 3 Syracuse vs. No. 11 Dayton: The key for Dayton will be a simple one: don’t allow the Syracuse zone to slow them down on the offensive end of the floor. If the Flyers can move the ball consistently they’ll have a chance against the Orange, who on the other end need Trevor Cooney to build on his 18-point outing against Western Michigan.
Mar 4, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
All of Wednesday’s relevant bubble info can be found right here.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
Kentucky head coach John Calipari is one of 15 coaches still in contention for this honor.
Mar 4, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Kaminsky is one of five seniors on the list, and Gonzaga is the only program with two representatives.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
With the higher seeds hosting in the first three rounds of the Postseason NIT, the four one-seeds could potentially not leave campus before the semifinals at Madison Square Garden.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:40 PM EST
The most recent title odds from Bovada.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EST
There are a lot of big bubbles games tonight.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:26 PM EST
These are the small league favorites that can win a game in the NCAA tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Hank Gathers died on the court during the WCC tournament.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:42 AM EST
Perry Ellis suffered a nasty looking knee injury last night.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
I’ve never seen this happen before.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:41 AM EST
Justin Anderson has been out for more than three weeks after fracturing a finger.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Two strong teams enter the Valley Conference Tournament with numerous others trying to enter the frame.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:26 AM EST
Kentucky is learning how to win games when they don’t play well. That’s scary.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
No. 9 Kansas topped No. 20 West Virginia but now the Jayhawks must worry about the health of Perry Ellis.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EST
Georgetown and Iowa earn big road wins.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
All of Tuesday’s bubble action, right here.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Cincinnati could be losing an experienced guard for next season.
Jahlil Okafor, D’Angelo Russell among 10 finalists for Wayman Tisdale Award as nation’s best freshman
Mar 3, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
A lot of productive players on the Wayman Tisdale Award finalist list, led by Duke’s Jahlil Okafor and Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:52 PM EST
Albany is looking for its third NCAA tournament appearance in as many years. Stony Brook is attempting to once again get over that conference tournament hump.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)