Mar 22, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
SATURDAY’S SCHEDULE (All times EST)
12:15 p.m.: No. 1 Florida vs. No. 9 Pittsburgh (CBS)
2:45 p.m.: No. 4 Louisville vs. No. 5 Saint Louis (CBS)
5:15 p.m.: No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 7 Texas (CBS)
6:10 p.m.: No. 4 San Diego State vs. No. 12 North Dakota State (TNT)
7:10 p.m.: No. 3 Syracuse vs. No. 11 Dayton (TBS)
7:45 p.m.: No. 2 Wisconsin vs. No. 7 Oregon (CBS)
8:40 p.m.: No. 4 Michigan State vs. No. 12 Harvard (TNT)
9:40 p.m.: No. 2 Villanova vs. No. 7 UConn (TBS)
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 2 Villanova vs. No. 7 UConn
One year after seeing their time as conference foes come to an end thanks to realignment, the Wildcats and Huskies will meet in Buffalo with a trip to Madison Square Garden for next week’s East Regional on the line. The guard play will be entertaining to say the least, with UConn being led by Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright and Villanova countering with Ryan Arcidiacono, James Bell and Darrun Hilliard. The question for UConn to answer: how will they account for JayVaughn Pinkston in the front court after struggling to contain Saint Joseph’s Halil Kanacevic on Thursday? The answer to this question may determine the outcome.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE DAY: No. 2 Wisconsin vs. No. 7 Oregon
Wisconsin has proven to be more capable of playing at a higher pace this season, and that will make for an interesting matchup with Oregon in Milwaukee. Frank Kaminsky was a first team All-Big Ten selection, with his ability to score both inside and out being one reason why. He’ll face an Oregon front court led by Mike Moser, who’s improved play over the last month helped spark the Oregon turnaround. As for the perimeter play Oregon’s corps of quick guards is led by junior Joseph Young, who’s averaging 18.6 points per game, and Wisconsin will need to keep this group in check if they’re to advance to the Sweet 16.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: No. 4 San Diego State (vs. No. 12 North Dakota State)
This matchup may be an issue for the Aztecs, whose ability to attack the basket off the dribble will be challenged by North Dakota State’s pack line defense. With the amount of attention Xavier Thames is bound to receive, the production of reserves Dwayne Polee II and Matt Shrigley will be something to keep an eye on with Polee playing well of late. NDSU will counter with four players averaging double figures led by guard Taylor Braun, and on both ends of the floor they’ve got the skill needed to make life difficult for the Aztecs.
THREE KEY INDIVIDUAL MATCHUPS:
- No. 1 Florida vs. No. 9 Pittsburgh: Florida’s Scottie Wilbekin has been one of the best point guards in the country, and Pittsburgh will need James Robinson to match his effort if they’re to upset the top overall seed.
- No. 4 Louisville vs. No. 5 Saint Louis: It’s going to be fun watching Saint Louis’ physical guard Jordair Jett do his best to corral Louisville’s Russ Smith.
- No. 4 Michigan State vs. No. 12 Harvard: How Harvard’s Steve Moundou Missi deals with Michigan State’s Adreian Payne will determine just how much of a chance the Crimson have of advancing to their first-ever Sweet 16.
- No. 2 Michigan vs. No. 7 Texas: Texas had the most dramatic win of the Round of 64, beating Arizona State at the buzzer on a Cameron Ridley basket. The question for the Longhorns against Michigan is whether or not their perimeter can outperform Michigan’s backcourt led by Nik Stauskas and Caris LeVert.
- No. 3 Syracuse vs. No. 11 Dayton: The key for Dayton will be a simple one: don’t allow the Syracuse zone to slow them down on the offensive end of the floor. If the Flyers can move the ball consistently they’ll have a chance against the Orange, who on the other end need Trevor Cooney to build on his 18-point outing against Western Michigan.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Colorado State is having a rough go of getting great programs to play in their building.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Scottie Lindsey put one on a defender during Northwestern’s trip to Spain.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
According to the New York Post, Morton will go back to teaching full-time.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Michigan State scheduled games against three national teams preparing for next month’s Eurobasket championships (Russia, Italy and Georgia).
Aug 29, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
According to head coach Ray Harper, Kristaps Gluditis was regarded as one of the top shooters in Europe.
Aug 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Tillie is a skilled forward who will have the chance to contribute immediately in 2016-17 due to the eventual losses of Kyle Wiltjer and Przemek Karnowski (both are seniors this season).
Aug 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Theo Pinson makes a bold statement and backs it up by burying a tough shot.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Washington is losing another player as the team only returns two scholarship players from last season.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Michigan received some positive news as a key member of the 2014-15 season returned to the floor.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Seventh Woods still has plenty of highlight plays up his sleeve.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Friday was photo day in Lawrence.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The Spartans are now 1-1 on the trip.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s Joey van Zegeren’s first year with the Northwestern program.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Stanford falls to 1-1 on the foreign tour.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
The ex-Oklahoma commit decides to state in-state.
Aug 28, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Last week, 24 of the best high school basketball players participated in the 10th annual event.
Aug 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Three of Jordan Bohannon’s older brothers have played Division I college basketball, but he’s the first to pick their father’s alma mater.
Aug 28, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
During his first bout with the disease Smith suffered cardiac arrest and lapsed into a coma that lasted for three days.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
The team many expect to be a national title contender has a new court to play on this season.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Crean addressed the recent off-court issues at a school event in Indianapolis.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)