Mar 23, 2014, 12:27 AM EST
Dayton’s 30-year wait for a spot in the Sweet 16 came to an end Saturday, with the Flyers beating No. 3 Syracuse 55-53 to advance to the South Regional semifinals which will be played in Memphis next week. Back on campus students flooded the streets to celebrate the win, and UD President Dr. Daniel J. Curran even did some crowd surfing according to tweets of the happenings.
SWEET 16! GO FLYERS pic.twitter.com/3c3QPQ95NB
— Mike Young (@Mike_Young10) March 23, 2014
— William Garbe (@wgarbe) March 23, 2014
It should also be noted that Dr. Curran wasn’t the only president to acknowledge the achievement, with President Barack Obama sending out a tweet from the White House’s official Twitter account. President Obama gave the commencement speech at Dayton forward Devin Oliver’s high school when Oliver was a senior as a result of the school winning the Race to the Top Commencement challenge.
At that speech Oliver stated that he wanted to play a pickup game with the President one day, hence the reference in the President’s tweet tonight.
These next few days won’t lack for activity for Archie Miller’s program and the school as a whole. Next up for the Flyers will be either No. 2 Kansas or No. 10 Stanford.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)