Mar 23, 2014, 12:27 AM EST
Dayton’s 30-year wait for a spot in the Sweet 16 came to an end Saturday, with the Flyers beating No. 3 Syracuse 55-53 to advance to the South Regional semifinals which will be played in Memphis next week. Back on campus students flooded the streets to celebrate the win, and UD President Dr. Daniel J. Curran even did some crowd surfing according to tweets of the happenings.
SWEET 16! GO FLYERS pic.twitter.com/3c3QPQ95NB
— Mike Young (@Mike_Young10) March 23, 2014
— William Garbe (@wgarbe) March 23, 2014
It should also be noted that Dr. Curran wasn’t the only president to acknowledge the achievement, with President Barack Obama sending out a tweet from the White House’s official Twitter account. President Obama gave the commencement speech at Dayton forward Devin Oliver’s high school when Oliver was a senior as a result of the school winning the Race to the Top Commencement challenge.
At that speech Oliver stated that he wanted to play a pickup game with the President one day, hence the reference in the President’s tweet tonight.
These next few days won’t lack for activity for Archie Miller’s program and the school as a whole. Next up for the Flyers will be either No. 2 Kansas or No. 10 Stanford.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 9
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (10)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)