Mar 23, 2014, 12:27 AM EST
Dayton’s 30-year wait for a spot in the Sweet 16 came to an end Saturday, with the Flyers beating No. 3 Syracuse 55-53 to advance to the South Regional semifinals which will be played in Memphis next week. Back on campus students flooded the streets to celebrate the win, and UD President Dr. Daniel J. Curran even did some crowd surfing according to tweets of the happenings.
SWEET 16! GO FLYERS pic.twitter.com/3c3QPQ95NB
— Mike Young (@Mike_Young10) March 23, 2014
— William Garbe (@wgarbe) March 23, 2014
It should also be noted that Dr. Curran wasn’t the only president to acknowledge the achievement, with President Barack Obama sending out a tweet from the White House’s official Twitter account. President Obama gave the commencement speech at Dayton forward Devin Oliver’s high school when Oliver was a senior as a result of the school winning the Race to the Top Commencement challenge.
At that speech Oliver stated that he wanted to play a pickup game with the President one day, hence the reference in the President’s tweet tonight.
These next few days won’t lack for activity for Archie Miller’s program and the school as a whole. Next up for the Flyers will be either No. 2 Kansas or No. 10 Stanford.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)