Mar 23, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
SUNDAY’S SCHEDULE (All times EST)
12:15 p.m.: No. 2 Kansas vs. No. 10 Stanford (CBS)
2:45 p.m.: No. 1 Wichita State vs. No. 8 Kentucky (CBS)
5:15 p.m.: No. 3 Iowa State vs. No. 6 North Carolina (CBS)
6:10 p.m.: No. 11 Tennessee vs. No. 14 Mercer (TNT)
7:10 p.m.: No. 4 UCLA vs. No. 12 Stephen F. Austin (TBS)
7:40 p.m.: No. 3 Creighton vs. No. 6 Baylor (CBS)
8:40 p.m.: No. 1 Virginia vs. No. 8 Memphis (TNT)
9:40 p.m.: No. 1 Arizona vs. No. 8 Gonzaga (TBS)
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 1 Wichita State vs. No. 8 Kentucky
Simply put, this may be the single most anticipated game of the season given all that is on the line here. The team chasing 40-0 against the team that was supposed to go 40-0. The thoroughbred, NBA prospects against the overlooked junkyard dogs. Wichita State vs. Kentucky. It will not be better than this.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE DAY: No. 3 Iowa State vs. No. 6 North Carolina
This matchup lost a bit of its luster when Georges Niang broke his foot on Friday night, but Iowa State is still an awfully talented team that will be tough for North Carolina to matchup with. The key for Iowa State will be to keep the Tar Heels off of the offensive glass, while North Carolina may end up playing quite a bit of zone to eliminate the mismatches that Fred Hoiberg is so good at exploiting.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: No. 4 UCLA vs. No. 12 Stephen F. Austin
SFA is a well-coached, disciplined and veteran team that has played together for a very long time. They were able to withstand every punch that Havoc threw at them. I’m not sure they have anyone that can matchup with Kyle Anderson, but if the Lumberjacks can control tempo, they’ll have a shot at taking down the Bruins.
THREE KEY INDIVIDUAL MATCHUPS
- Josh Huestis vs. Andrew Wiggins: Stanford has a ton of size along their front line, but they are going to have their work cut out for them trying to slow down Andrew Wiggins as the true small forward on their roster, Anthony Brown, plays off-guard for them.
- Baylor’s zone vs. Doug McDermott: Providence went to a 2-3 zone when they beat Creighton in the Big East tournament title game. Baylor plays a zone, and they have a ton of length in it, but that’s no guarantee it will slow down McDermott. The more important matchup may be finding a way to get to shooters like Jahenns Manigat and Ethan Wragge.
- Aaron Gordon vs. Sam Dower: Aaron Gordon is one of the most versatile defenders in the country and he should be able to hold his own against Dower in the post, the question is going to be whether or not he can stay out of foul trouble. Arizona does not have a lot of depth on their roster.
- There are quite a few folks out there that believe that No. 1 seed Virginia was lucky to earn a top seed, and when it comes down to it, they won’t be the most talented team on the floor when they go up against No. 8 Memphis. But how will the Tigers fare against the vaunted Virginia packline defense?
- There will be at least one more double-digit seed in the Sweet 16, and it will be the winner of No. 11 Tennessee and No. 14 Mercer. How will the Bears handle Tennessee’s offensive, I mean front line of Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon?
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)