Mar 23, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
SUNDAY’S SCHEDULE (All times EST)
12:15 p.m.: No. 2 Kansas vs. No. 10 Stanford (CBS)
2:45 p.m.: No. 1 Wichita State vs. No. 8 Kentucky (CBS)
5:15 p.m.: No. 3 Iowa State vs. No. 6 North Carolina (CBS)
6:10 p.m.: No. 11 Tennessee vs. No. 14 Mercer (TNT)
7:10 p.m.: No. 4 UCLA vs. No. 12 Stephen F. Austin (TBS)
7:40 p.m.: No. 3 Creighton vs. No. 6 Baylor (CBS)
8:40 p.m.: No. 1 Virginia vs. No. 8 Memphis (TNT)
9:40 p.m.: No. 1 Arizona vs. No. 8 Gonzaga (TBS)
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 1 Wichita State vs. No. 8 Kentucky
Simply put, this may be the single most anticipated game of the season given all that is on the line here. The team chasing 40-0 against the team that was supposed to go 40-0. The thoroughbred, NBA prospects against the overlooked junkyard dogs. Wichita State vs. Kentucky. It will not be better than this.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE DAY: No. 3 Iowa State vs. No. 6 North Carolina
This matchup lost a bit of its luster when Georges Niang broke his foot on Friday night, but Iowa State is still an awfully talented team that will be tough for North Carolina to matchup with. The key for Iowa State will be to keep the Tar Heels off of the offensive glass, while North Carolina may end up playing quite a bit of zone to eliminate the mismatches that Fred Hoiberg is so good at exploiting.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: No. 4 UCLA vs. No. 12 Stephen F. Austin
SFA is a well-coached, disciplined and veteran team that has played together for a very long time. They were able to withstand every punch that Havoc threw at them. I’m not sure they have anyone that can matchup with Kyle Anderson, but if the Lumberjacks can control tempo, they’ll have a shot at taking down the Bruins.
THREE KEY INDIVIDUAL MATCHUPS
- Josh Huestis vs. Andrew Wiggins: Stanford has a ton of size along their front line, but they are going to have their work cut out for them trying to slow down Andrew Wiggins as the true small forward on their roster, Anthony Brown, plays off-guard for them.
- Baylor’s zone vs. Doug McDermott: Providence went to a 2-3 zone when they beat Creighton in the Big East tournament title game. Baylor plays a zone, and they have a ton of length in it, but that’s no guarantee it will slow down McDermott. The more important matchup may be finding a way to get to shooters like Jahenns Manigat and Ethan Wragge.
- Aaron Gordon vs. Sam Dower: Aaron Gordon is one of the most versatile defenders in the country and he should be able to hold his own against Dower in the post, the question is going to be whether or not he can stay out of foul trouble. Arizona does not have a lot of depth on their roster.
- There are quite a few folks out there that believe that No. 1 seed Virginia was lucky to earn a top seed, and when it comes down to it, they won’t be the most talented team on the floor when they go up against No. 8 Memphis. But how will the Tigers fare against the vaunted Virginia packline defense?
- There will be at least one more double-digit seed in the Sweet 16, and it will be the winner of No. 11 Tennessee and No. 14 Mercer. How will the Bears handle Tennessee’s offensive, I mean front line of Jarnell Stokes and Jeronne Maymon?
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)