Mar 23, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
After Williams took the lead with 4.9 seconds left on a tip-in, Quardell Young took the inbounds pass with and went coast-to-coast, finishing a layup between all five Williams defenders while drawing a foul with just 0.9 seconds left on the clock.
He would hit the free throw, and a heave at the buzzer was well of the mark as UW-Whitewater knocked off the Ephs, 75-73, to win the Division III national title.
It was the second national title in three years for the Warhawks, who finished second in the loaded WIAC this season. Young finished with 13 points and five assists while K.J. Evans led the way with 22 points.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)