Mar 24, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Remember when everyone was concerned about the fact that No. 1 Virginia was losing by 10 to No. 16 Coastal Carolina in the first half?
Seems like a long time ago, doesn’t it?
The Cavaliers pounded No. 8 seed Memphis on Sunday night, shooting 55.6% from the floor in a 78-60 win that felt like it was closer to a 40 point win than an 18 point win. Joe Harris led the way with 16 points as five players reached double figures in a performance that was quintessential Virginia: Memphis couldn’t get a good look until the game was no longer in doubt while Virginia’s execution offensively was flawless.
The win sends the Cavaliers onto the Sweet 16, where they will face-off in a highly-anticipated battle with No. 4 Michigan State.
When the brackets were released, the Spartans were immediately tabbed as the trendy pick to win the National Title. That’s what happens when a team with as much talent as there is on Michigan State’s roster finally gets healthy. But don’t think for a second that Virginia didn’t notice how much they were being overlooked.
Remember, this is a team that won the ACC regular season title — by a couple of games — and tournament title. They have one of the best defenses in the country and an offense that has opened up ever since the decision was made to put the ball into London Perrantes hands more.
The ‘Hoos are good, and they’ll be looking to prove it to the team the nation has dubbed as the East Region’s best.
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener (2)