Mar 24, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Remember when everyone was concerned about the fact that No. 1 Virginia was losing by 10 to No. 16 Coastal Carolina in the first half?
Seems like a long time ago, doesn’t it?
The Cavaliers pounded No. 8 seed Memphis on Sunday night, shooting 55.6% from the floor in a 78-60 win that felt like it was closer to a 40 point win than an 18 point win. Joe Harris led the way with 16 points as five players reached double figures in a performance that was quintessential Virginia: Memphis couldn’t get a good look until the game was no longer in doubt while Virginia’s execution offensively was flawless.
The win sends the Cavaliers onto the Sweet 16, where they will face-off in a highly-anticipated battle with No. 4 Michigan State.
When the brackets were released, the Spartans were immediately tabbed as the trendy pick to win the National Title. That’s what happens when a team with as much talent as there is on Michigan State’s roster finally gets healthy. But don’t think for a second that Virginia didn’t notice how much they were being overlooked.
Remember, this is a team that won the ACC regular season title — by a couple of games — and tournament title. They have one of the best defenses in the country and an offense that has opened up ever since the decision was made to put the ball into London Perrantes hands more.
The ‘Hoos are good, and they’ll be looking to prove it to the team the nation has dubbed as the East Region’s best.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 0
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)