Mar 24, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Although North Carolina fell to No. 3 seed Iowa State in a heartbreaker on Sunday, Tar Heel fans received some positive news on Monday night as sophomore point guard Marcus Paige took to Twitter to announce his return next season.
This is very big news for Roy Williams’ club as Paige was the team’s most important player this season. Along with averaging 17.5 points, 4.2 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 1.5 steals, the sophomore floor general was also North Carolina’s only perimeter threat as he shot 38.9 percent from the three-point line as he knocked down 86 three-pointers — double the amount that second-place holder Leslie McDonald made.
The 6-foot-1 lefty also shot 87 percent from the free-throw line for a team that struggled from the line and a respectable 44 percent from the field. Next season, Paige will be a major candidate to be a preseason All-American and his return makes North Carolina a credible threat.
North Carolina fans will now await the announcement of junior forward James Michael McAdoo and what his future holds.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)