Mar 24, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
Although North Carolina fell to No. 3 seed Iowa State in a heartbreaker on Sunday, Tar Heel fans received some positive news on Monday night as sophomore point guard Marcus Paige took to Twitter to announce his return next season.
This is very big news for Roy Williams’ club as Paige was the team’s most important player this season. Along with averaging 17.5 points, 4.2 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 1.5 steals, the sophomore floor general was also North Carolina’s only perimeter threat as he shot 38.9 percent from the three-point line as he knocked down 86 three-pointers — double the amount that second-place holder Leslie McDonald made.
The 6-foot-1 lefty also shot 87 percent from the free-throw line for a team that struggled from the line and a respectable 44 percent from the field. Next season, Paige will be a major candidate to be a preseason All-American and his return makes North Carolina a credible threat.
North Carolina fans will now await the announcement of junior forward James Michael McAdoo and what his future holds.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 9
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 15
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)