Mar 24, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Although North Carolina fell to No. 3 seed Iowa State in a heartbreaker on Sunday, Tar Heel fans received some positive news on Monday night as sophomore point guard Marcus Paige took to Twitter to announce his return next season.
This is very big news for Roy Williams’ club as Paige was the team’s most important player this season. Along with averaging 17.5 points, 4.2 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 1.5 steals, the sophomore floor general was also North Carolina’s only perimeter threat as he shot 38.9 percent from the three-point line as he knocked down 86 three-pointers — double the amount that second-place holder Leslie McDonald made.
The 6-foot-1 lefty also shot 87 percent from the free-throw line for a team that struggled from the line and a respectable 44 percent from the field. Next season, Paige will be a major candidate to be a preseason All-American and his return makes North Carolina a credible threat.
North Carolina fans will now await the announcement of junior forward James Michael McAdoo and what his future holds.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)