Mar 24, 2014, 7:21 PM EST
St. John’s sophomore forward JaKarr Sampson will enter the 2014 NBA Draft, according to a release from the school’s athletic department.
Sampson, a 6-foot-9 wing forward averaged 13.9 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in 66 games over two seasons for the Red Storm. The 2012-13 Big East Rookie of the Year shot 46 percent from the field during his career at St. John’s, but only has one career three-pointer.
“JaKarr will forego his final two years of eligibility and pursue his dream of playing in the NBA. We are grateful for JaKarr’s contributions to our St. John’s basketball program,” said Red Storm head coach Steve Lavin in the release. “In speaking with NBA general managers JaKarr is projected as a draft prospect with intriguing talent and upside.”
The 2012-13 Big East Rookie of the Year is not considered a strong prospect for the NBA at the moment. Draft Express doesn’t have Sampson listed among its two-round mock draft for the 2014 draft.
“It has been my lifelong dream to play in the NBA, and I am excited and ready to begin that journey. I am grateful to my teammates and coaches at St. John’s. I would like to thank Coach Lavin, our staff and my teammates for being there for me throughout my whole career at SJU. We have been through a lot together and I know everyone is excited for me,” said Sampson in the release. “Coach Lavin and my support group have helped me conduct research and the information gathered indicates that with hard work, I have a chance to improve my stock and play in the NBA next year. I will work hard and prove myself in every workout. I know I can impress upon GMs and coaches that I am ready be a contributor to a NBA team.”
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 34
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (34)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)