Mar 24, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT
St. John’s sophomore forward JaKarr Sampson will enter the 2014 NBA Draft, according to a release from the school’s athletic department.
Sampson, a 6-foot-9 wing forward averaged 13.9 points and 6.4 rebounds per game in 66 games over two seasons for the Red Storm. The 2012-13 Big East Rookie of the Year shot 46 percent from the field during his career at St. John’s, but only has one career three-pointer.
“JaKarr will forego his final two years of eligibility and pursue his dream of playing in the NBA. We are grateful for JaKarr’s contributions to our St. John’s basketball program,” said Red Storm head coach Steve Lavin in the release. “In speaking with NBA general managers JaKarr is projected as a draft prospect with intriguing talent and upside.”
The 2012-13 Big East Rookie of the Year is not considered a strong prospect for the NBA at the moment. Draft Express doesn’t have Sampson listed among its two-round mock draft for the 2014 draft.
“It has been my lifelong dream to play in the NBA, and I am excited and ready to begin that journey. I am grateful to my teammates and coaches at St. John’s. I would like to thank Coach Lavin, our staff and my teammates for being there for me throughout my whole career at SJU. We have been through a lot together and I know everyone is excited for me,” said Sampson in the release. “Coach Lavin and my support group have helped me conduct research and the information gathered indicates that with hard work, I have a chance to improve my stock and play in the NBA next year. I will work hard and prove myself in every workout. I know I can impress upon GMs and coaches that I am ready be a contributor to a NBA team.”
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)