Mar 25, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
The 2014 NCAA Tournament bracket was revealed on Selection Sunday, and the field included some intriguing matchups in the Round of 64.
Rick Pitino would face his former player and assistant coach Steve Masiello in the the Midwest Region while Ohio State, which does not play in-state opponent Dayton during the regular season, got slated against the Flyers in the South Region.
Looking ahead, you could see potential games such as Wichita State putting its undefeated record on the line against Kentucky in the Round of 32. That matchup did become a reality and the Wildcats prevailed on Sunday and advanced to play rival Louisville in the Sweet 16 on Friday night in Indianapolis.
This gave Dan Patrick reason to question the selection committee on Tuesday morning during his radio show. On the final hour of his program, Greg Shaheen, the former executive vice president of championships and alliances for the NCAA, called in to dispute Patrick’s conspiracy theory.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (5)