Mar 25, 2014, 9:09 PM EST
On Tuesday morning, the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame committee announced its eight-person Class of 2014. Headlining the list of inductees are former Maryland head coach Gary Williams, LSU center Shaquille O’Neal and Grant Hill, a two-time national champion at Duke.
The Class of 2014 will officially been inducted on Sunday, Nov. 23 at the Arvest Bank Theatre at The Midland in Kansas City, Mo.
Rounding out the class are players Zelmo Beaty (Prairie View A&M) and Darrell Griffith (Louisville), coach Dale Brown (LSU) along contributors Howard Garfinkel, who started Five-Star Basketball Camp and Glenn Wilkes, Sr., who coach at Stetson, but also directed clinics and camps and authored multiple books.
Williams had three coaching stops — American, Boston College and Ohio State — before returning to his alma mater in 1989. Williams retired in 2011, leading the Terrapins to back-to-back Final Four appearances, ending that run with a National Title in 2002. On Tuesday evening, Williams joined SportsNet Central on Comcast SportsNet to discuss his latest honor.
The National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame inducted its first class in 2006. This will be the hall’s ninth.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)