Mar 25, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
On Tuesday morning, the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame committee announced its eight-person Class of 2014. Headlining the list of inductees are former Maryland head coach Gary Williams, LSU center Shaquille O’Neal and Grant Hill, a two-time national champion at Duke.
The Class of 2014 will officially been inducted on Sunday, Nov. 23 at the Arvest Bank Theatre at The Midland in Kansas City, Mo.
Rounding out the class are players Zelmo Beaty (Prairie View A&M) and Darrell Griffith (Louisville), coach Dale Brown (LSU) along contributors Howard Garfinkel, who started Five-Star Basketball Camp and Glenn Wilkes, Sr., who coach at Stetson, but also directed clinics and camps and authored multiple books.
Williams had three coaching stops — American, Boston College and Ohio State — before returning to his alma mater in 1989. Williams retired in 2011, leading the Terrapins to back-to-back Final Four appearances, ending that run with a National Title in 2002. On Tuesday evening, Williams joined SportsNet Central on Comcast SportsNet to discuss his latest honor.
The National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame inducted its first class in 2006. This will be the hall’s ninth.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)