Mar 25, 2014, 6:22 PM EST
Three days after Boston College fired head coach Steve Donahue, reports surfaced that Hall of Famer and longtime UConn coach Jim Calhoun was interested in the BC opening.
Calhoun appeared as a guest on Chris Russo’s show on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Sports Radio on Tuesday and put an end to the speculation.
“No, I’m not interested,” Calhoun said.
“Let me give you a little background to make everybody, not everybody, but just to, not clear the air but I don’t want to get involved in anything with the tournament, with our team playing and all the other things and so on. But what happened is that when [our] good friend Doris Burke and then Andy Katz came over and they started talking, ‘Would you ever do it?’ Yeah, I would. I would think about coaching but it has to be the perfect situation. I don’t have to go hunting for a job. That’s not really what I’m desiring to do. But if something special came along I feel I still have enough zip, power and certainly love for the game, love for competition, that I’d do it. But it’d have to be the right situation for me and for that school. At this particular point I just don’t know if I would find the answer at Boston College. Nothing against Boston College, it’s a great school, it’s a terrific a school in what will be, in my opinion, the best basketball conference in America. You add Jamie Dixon, which you just did. You’re going to be adding Rick Pitino, you’ve got Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski. Great, great thing and I’m sure they’ll do very well but for me it’s just not going to…I have not talked to the people at BC. BC has not talked to me. You could imagine that with all my Boston ties a lot of people have called me. That’s kind of a normal thing, that happens with folks. I will never say never because I love the game and the right situation for me and for the school I would think about. But at this point I’m not interested.”
Calhoun is a native of Braintree, Mass. and began his coaching career at Northeastern before he took over a UConn program, which won three national titles in Calhoun’s 26 years as head coach of the Huskies.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)