Mar 25, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
Three days after Boston College fired head coach Steve Donahue, reports surfaced that Hall of Famer and longtime UConn coach Jim Calhoun was interested in the BC opening.
Calhoun appeared as a guest on Chris Russo’s show on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Sports Radio on Tuesday and put an end to the speculation.
“No, I’m not interested,” Calhoun said.
“Let me give you a little background to make everybody, not everybody, but just to, not clear the air but I don’t want to get involved in anything with the tournament, with our team playing and all the other things and so on. But what happened is that when [our] good friend Doris Burke and then Andy Katz came over and they started talking, ‘Would you ever do it?’ Yeah, I would. I would think about coaching but it has to be the perfect situation. I don’t have to go hunting for a job. That’s not really what I’m desiring to do. But if something special came along I feel I still have enough zip, power and certainly love for the game, love for competition, that I’d do it. But it’d have to be the right situation for me and for that school. At this particular point I just don’t know if I would find the answer at Boston College. Nothing against Boston College, it’s a great school, it’s a terrific a school in what will be, in my opinion, the best basketball conference in America. You add Jamie Dixon, which you just did. You’re going to be adding Rick Pitino, you’ve got Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski. Great, great thing and I’m sure they’ll do very well but for me it’s just not going to…I have not talked to the people at BC. BC has not talked to me. You could imagine that with all my Boston ties a lot of people have called me. That’s kind of a normal thing, that happens with folks. I will never say never because I love the game and the right situation for me and for the school I would think about. But at this point I’m not interested.”
Calhoun is a native of Braintree, Mass. and began his coaching career at Northeastern before he took over a UConn program, which won three national titles in Calhoun’s 26 years as head coach of the Huskies.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)