Mar 25, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
There has been some speculation in recent weeks that Michigan center Mitch McGary would find a way to return to the basketball court before the NCAA tournament is over, but head coach John Beilein reiterated on Tuesday that is not the plan.
“We have no plans for Mitch to play,” Beilein said on the Michigan Insider radio show. “Plans can change, but we have no plans for Mitch to play.”
McGary was a projected lottery pick after being the breakout star of the 2013 NCAA tournament, but he dealt with a back injury during the offseason that ultimately resulted in the decision to get the injury surgically repaired in December. The rehab has apparently been going well, but, as Beilein said, that doesn’t mean that they are going to rush him back after he sat out for three months.
For now, he’s still Coach McGary, providing helpful tips like this from his spot on the bench:
Michigan, the No. 2 seed in the Midwest, will take on No. 11 Tennessee on Thursday night in Indianapolis.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)