Mar 25, 2014, 11:21 AM EST
There has been some speculation in recent weeks that Michigan center Mitch McGary would find a way to return to the basketball court before the NCAA tournament is over, but head coach John Beilein reiterated on Tuesday that is not the plan.
“We have no plans for Mitch to play,” Beilein said on the Michigan Insider radio show. “Plans can change, but we have no plans for Mitch to play.”
McGary was a projected lottery pick after being the breakout star of the 2013 NCAA tournament, but he dealt with a back injury during the offseason that ultimately resulted in the decision to get the injury surgically repaired in December. The rehab has apparently been going well, but, as Beilein said, that doesn’t mean that they are going to rush him back after he sat out for three months.
For now, he’s still Coach McGary, providing helpful tips like this from his spot on the bench:
Michigan, the No. 2 seed in the Midwest, will take on No. 11 Tennessee on Thursday night in Indianapolis.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)