Mar 25, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
The Detroit Pistons have had a miserable season, one that got head coach Maurice Cheeks fired and could result in the end of the Joe Dumars tenure with the organization.
Eventually, the Pistons are going to have to find a head coach to rebuild the team, and one of the names that is popping up in rumors is Tom Izzo, the current Michigan State head coach. Sam Amick of USA Today said this morning that Izzo will be one of the first guys that the Detroit ownership targets, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that Tom Gores is a Michigan State alum.
Izzo has flirted with the NBA before. He almost left East Lansing to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers back in 2011, and even admitted to SI.com earlier this month that he’s frustrated with recruiting elite talent and the expectations that come with building a winning program.
Michigan State has a chance to win a national title this season, but with Adreian Payne and Keith Appling graduating, the potential for Branden Dawson and Gary Harris to turn pro, and a rebuilding year or two on the immediate horizon, there may actually be some legs to the theory that Izzo will make the leap to the next level after the season.
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0