Mar 25, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
The Detroit Pistons have had a miserable season, one that got head coach Maurice Cheeks fired and could result in the end of the Joe Dumars tenure with the organization.
Eventually, the Pistons are going to have to find a head coach to rebuild the team, and one of the names that is popping up in rumors is Tom Izzo, the current Michigan State head coach. Sam Amick of USA Today said this morning that Izzo will be one of the first guys that the Detroit ownership targets, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that Tom Gores is a Michigan State alum.
Izzo has flirted with the NBA before. He almost left East Lansing to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers back in 2011, and even admitted to SI.com earlier this month that he’s frustrated with recruiting elite talent and the expectations that come with building a winning program.
Michigan State has a chance to win a national title this season, but with Adreian Payne and Keith Appling graduating, the potential for Branden Dawson and Gary Harris to turn pro, and a rebuilding year or two on the immediate horizon, there may actually be some legs to the theory that Izzo will make the leap to the next level after the season.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0