Mar 25, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
The Detroit Pistons have had a miserable season, one that got head coach Maurice Cheeks fired and could result in the end of the Joe Dumars tenure with the organization.
Eventually, the Pistons are going to have to find a head coach to rebuild the team, and one of the names that is popping up in rumors is Tom Izzo, the current Michigan State head coach. Sam Amick of USA Today said this morning that Izzo will be one of the first guys that the Detroit ownership targets, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that Tom Gores is a Michigan State alum.
Izzo has flirted with the NBA before. He almost left East Lansing to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers back in 2011, and even admitted to SI.com earlier this month that he’s frustrated with recruiting elite talent and the expectations that come with building a winning program.
Michigan State has a chance to win a national title this season, but with Adreian Payne and Keith Appling graduating, the potential for Branden Dawson and Gary Harris to turn pro, and a rebuilding year or two on the immediate horizon, there may actually be some legs to the theory that Izzo will make the leap to the next level after the season.
- Norman Powell sees defense, rebounding as keys for UCLA 0
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)