Mar 25, 2014, 3:08 PM EDT
The Detroit Pistons have had a miserable season, one that got head coach Maurice Cheeks fired and could result in the end of the Joe Dumars tenure with the organization.
Eventually, the Pistons are going to have to find a head coach to rebuild the team, and one of the names that is popping up in rumors is Tom Izzo, the current Michigan State head coach. Sam Amick of USA Today said this morning that Izzo will be one of the first guys that the Detroit ownership targets, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that Tom Gores is a Michigan State alum.
Izzo has flirted with the NBA before. He almost left East Lansing to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers back in 2011, and even admitted to SI.com earlier this month that he’s frustrated with recruiting elite talent and the expectations that come with building a winning program.
Michigan State has a chance to win a national title this season, but with Adreian Payne and Keith Appling graduating, the potential for Branden Dawson and Gary Harris to turn pro, and a rebuilding year or two on the immediate horizon, there may actually be some legs to the theory that Izzo will make the leap to the next level after the season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)