Mar 25, 2014, 7:05 AM EDT
The NCAA tournament isn’t the only college hoops postseason event happening this week. Here’s a roundup of the smaller dances:
SMU 80, LSU 67: Nic Moore and Nick Russell both went for 16 points and combined for 10 boards and nine assists and No. 1 seed SMU overcame a ten point first half deficit as the Mustangs knocked off the Tigers, 80-67. They’ll advance to take on No. 2 seed Cal at home on Wednesday. The Tigers, on the other hand, enter a crossroads. They were a disappointment this season, and Monday might have been the last time that this group takes the court together. Johnny O’Bryant, Jordan Mickey and Jarell Martin are all going to be draft picks whenever they decide to leave school. Will that be after this season?
Florida State 101, Georgetown 90: Florida State shot 68.2% from the floor and hit 11 threes as they knocked off Georgetown in Tallahassee to advance to the Elite 8 of the NIT. They’ll host Louisiana Tech on Wednesday, with the winner headed to Madison Square Garden for the NIT semifinals. Aaron Thomas led the way with 26 points and Devin Bookert added 21 points and nine assists.
Cal 75, Arkansas 64: Jabari Bird led three players in double figures with 19 points as the Bears jumped out to a 31-8 and never looked back, knocking off Arkansas and advancing to the NIT’s Elite 8. They’ll be paying a visit to Dallas to take on SMU for the right to play in the Garden next week.
CBI Roundup: The semifinals for the CBI are set. On Wednesday, Siena will take on Illinois State to start off the night and Old Dominion will square off with Fresno State in the nightcap.
Siena advanced on a game-winner from Evan Hymes with 3.9 seconds left, knocking off Penn State 54-52. Illinois State advanced thanks to 17 points and nine boards from Daishon Knight as they held Texas A&M to just 34.0% shooting from the floor. Richard Ross had 23 points and 10 boards to lead five players in double figures as Old Dominion knocked off Radford, while Fresno State got 23 points, eight boards and four assists from Tyler Johnson in a win over Princeton.
CIT Roundup: The only CIT game of the night featured Murray State knocking off Omaha in the second round of the event.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)