Mar 26, 2014, 7:54 PM EST
After playing one season at St. John’s after transferring in from Harvard, redshirt sophomore guard/forward Max Hooper is being allowed to explore possible transfer options. The program reported the news via its official Twitter account Wednesday evening.
Sophomore guard Max Hooper has been given permission to explore transfer opportunities. We wish Max all the best! #SJUBB
— StJohnsBasketball (@StJohnsBBall) March 26, 2014
Hooper, whose perimeter shooting ability was praised when he made the decision to transfer to the Big East school in the spring of 2012, averaged 3.2 points in nine minutes of action per contest for the Red Storm. Hooper played in 25 games and reached double figures in two, scoring 15 points in a loss to Penn State and 13 in a loss at Georgetown.
In that 89-82 loss to the Nittany Lions in Brooklyn, Hooper made five of his eight three-point attempts and played a career-high 26 minutes. The announcement regarding Hooper’s status comes one day after it was announced that sophomore forward JaKarr Sampson will enter the 2014 NBA Draft.
Hooper and Sampson were prep teammates at Brewster Academy. What remains to be seen is how much eligibility Hooper will have should he transfer to another Division I institution. According to his former coach at Brewster, Hooper is on track to graduate in May and as a result would be eligible to play immediately.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)