Mar 26, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
The women’s Sweet 16 was set on Tuesday night, and with one surprise occurring on Monday night.
Top-seeded UConn improved to 36-0 with lopsided win over No. 9 Saint Joseph’s. Brenna Stewart posted 21 points and grabbed 11 rebounds. The unbeaten Huskies head to Lincoln to face Cinderella BYU, the No. 12 seed, which pulled off one of two upsets on Monday.
The only game that didn’t go to form was in the Louisville bracket. LSU, the No. 7 seed, eliminated No. 2 seed West Virginia, 76-67. It is the second night in a row a No. 2 seed has gone down, after DePaul knocked off Duke inside Cameron Indoor Stadium. For LSU, it was a dominant display on the glass. The Tigers grabbed an astonishing 55 boards, 15 more than West Virginia. The Tigers had four starters grab at least seven rebounds with Danielle Ballard leading the way with 22 points and 15 rebounds.
The rest of Tuesday night’s games when according to plan:
No. 3 Louisville 83, No. 6 Iowa 53
No. 4 Maryland 69, No. 5 Texas 64
No. 1 South Carolina 78, No. 9 Oregon State 69
No. 3 Penn State 81, No. 11 Florida 61
No. 4 North Carolina 62, No. 5 Michigan State 53
Texas A&M 85, No. 11 James Madison 69
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0