Mar 26, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
The women’s Sweet 16 was set on Tuesday night, and with one surprise occurring on Monday night.
Top-seeded UConn improved to 36-0 with lopsided win over No. 9 Saint Joseph’s. Brenna Stewart posted 21 points and grabbed 11 rebounds. The unbeaten Huskies head to Lincoln to face Cinderella BYU, the No. 12 seed, which pulled off one of two upsets on Monday.
The only game that didn’t go to form was in the Louisville bracket. LSU, the No. 7 seed, eliminated No. 2 seed West Virginia, 76-67. It is the second night in a row a No. 2 seed has gone down, after DePaul knocked off Duke inside Cameron Indoor Stadium. For LSU, it was a dominant display on the glass. The Tigers grabbed an astonishing 55 boards, 15 more than West Virginia. The Tigers had four starters grab at least seven rebounds with Danielle Ballard leading the way with 22 points and 15 rebounds.
The rest of Tuesday night’s games when according to plan:
No. 3 Louisville 83, No. 6 Iowa 53
No. 4 Maryland 69, No. 5 Texas 64
No. 1 South Carolina 78, No. 9 Oregon State 69
No. 3 Penn State 81, No. 11 Florida 61
No. 4 North Carolina 62, No. 5 Michigan State 53
Texas A&M 85, No. 11 James Madison 69
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)