Mar 27, 2014, 6:48 PM EST
Thursday morning it was reported by Yahoo Sports’ Adrain Wojnarowski that Kansas freshman center Joel Embiid has decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft. Embiid, who missed the final six games of the Jayhawks’ season due to a stress fracture in his lower back, has been regarded as a lottery pick should he enter June’s draft.
However according to a report from the Lawrence Journal-World, no decision has been made regarding Embiid’s status with head coach Bill Self refuting the reports himself.
“I have Jo in my office right now…. He didn’t know where that came from,” Self said of the report. “No decision has been made on what he’s going to do next year at all. I’m telling you, no decision at all has been made. I think he’s still a little ways away from that. That information that was reported did not come from Jo.”
Self was asked if any news regarding Embiid’s future was imminent and said no.
“As of now, this kid has not made any decision yet. He needs some time to make a good, informed decision,” Self said.
This doesn’t mean that Embiid has ruled out entering the draft and will definitely return to Kansas for his sophomore season, with Self saying as much in the article. But it does mean that a decision has yet to be made, and it’s anyone’s guess as to when Embiid will announce his intentions.
As a freshman Embiid averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks per game for the Big 12 regular season champions. In its front court rotation Kansas will lose senior Tarik Black, but they’ll add Arkansas transfer Hunter Mickelson and five-star power forward Cliff Alexander.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)