Mar 27, 2014, 5:16 PM EST
Thursday afternoon Ball State head coach James Whitford announced that two guards, Mark Alstork and Quinten Payne, have been granted permission to seek a transfer. Both players were freshmen this season, with Alstork playing in 30 games (15 starts) and Payne 29 (two starts).
Alstork, a 6-foot-4 guard/forward from Dayton, Ohio, averaged 5.6 points and 3.1 rebounds per game in 2013-14. The 6-foot-5 Payne played just under 12 minutes per contest in his debut season, scoring 1.8 points per game.
“We want to thank Mark and Quinten for their time here at Ball State,” Ball State head coach James Whitford said in the release. “They did an excellent job representing our university, both on and off the court. We support their decisions to find new schools, and we wish them the best going forward.”
In addition to Alstork and Payne the Cardinals lose six seniors, including guard Jesse Berry (11.2 ppg), forward Chris Bond (12.2, 5.9 rpg) and forward/center Majok Majok (11.2, 10.0). Ball State’s four-member recruiting class includes two guards in 6-foot-3 Francis Klapway and 6-foot-2 Jeremie Tyler, and one of the MAC’s top freshmen in guard Zavier Turner (12.1 ppg) will return next season.
Ball State finished the 2013-14 season with an overall record of 5-25, going 2-16 in MAC play.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)