Mar 27, 2014, 8:34 AM EST
Kansas center Joel Embiid has reportedly made the decision to enter his name into the 2014 NBA Draft, according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski.
Embiid is projected as a consensus top three pick in the draft and could go as high as No. 1 overall.
Embiid’s season was cut short when he aggravated a back injury in a loss to Oklahoma State on March 1st. He had dealt with back issues all season long, and it was determined that he had a stress fracture in his spine. He did not play the rest of the season, although he told reporters after No. 2 Kansas was eliminated in the Round of 32 that he would have played in the Sweet 16.
The 7-foot Cameroonian was toying with the idea of returning to school, but it’s hard to pass up the guaranteed money that is coming his way, particularly when he’s already dealing with injury issues. A bad back is a scary thing for an athlete, especially for a 19-year old 7-footer.
Embiid averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 23 minutes a game for the Jayhawks this season.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)