Mar 27, 2014, 8:34 AM EST
Kansas center Joel Embiid has reportedly made the decision to enter his name into the 2014 NBA Draft, according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski.
Embiid is projected as a consensus top three pick in the draft and could go as high as No. 1 overall.
Embiid’s season was cut short when he aggravated a back injury in a loss to Oklahoma State on March 1st. He had dealt with back issues all season long, and it was determined that he had a stress fracture in his spine. He did not play the rest of the season, although he told reporters after No. 2 Kansas was eliminated in the Round of 32 that he would have played in the Sweet 16.
The 7-foot Cameroonian was toying with the idea of returning to school, but it’s hard to pass up the guaranteed money that is coming his way, particularly when he’s already dealing with injury issues. A bad back is a scary thing for an athlete, especially for a 19-year old 7-footer.
Embiid averaged 11.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in 23 minutes a game for the Jayhawks this season.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)