Mar 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Less than two weeks after the school announced that head coach Tom Herrion had resigned, Marshall has reportedly set its sights on the NBA for its next head coach.
According to a report by Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com, the school has reached out to Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni to gauge his interest in the position. D’Antoni, who has never coached at the collegiate level, is both a native of West Virginia and a Marshall alum.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Thundering Herd have pursued D’Antoni before and made this latest inquiry — which coincides with his uncertain future in Los Angeles — because they “always sound him out” any time Marshall has an opening in a bow to D’Antoni’s stature in school history.
D’Antoni has plenty of experience coaching at the professional level, having been the head coach of four different NBA franchises and two different franchises in Italy (two stints at Benetton Treviso). It was also noted in the story that D’Antoni, who has two years remaining on his contract with the Lakers, isn’t expected to make such a move. However, in a story written by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com it was stated that there is mutual interest.
In four seasons at Marshall Tom Herrion posted a record of 67 wins and 67 losses, leading the Thundering Herd to postseason appearances in 2011 (CIT) and 2012 (NIT). Marshall loses just one senior from this season’s team, 7-foot-2 center Yous Mbao.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)