Mar 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Less than two weeks after the school announced that head coach Tom Herrion had resigned, Marshall has reportedly set its sights on the NBA for its next head coach.
According to a report by Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com, the school has reached out to Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni to gauge his interest in the position. D’Antoni, who has never coached at the collegiate level, is both a native of West Virginia and a Marshall alum.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Thundering Herd have pursued D’Antoni before and made this latest inquiry — which coincides with his uncertain future in Los Angeles — because they “always sound him out” any time Marshall has an opening in a bow to D’Antoni’s stature in school history.
D’Antoni has plenty of experience coaching at the professional level, having been the head coach of four different NBA franchises and two different franchises in Italy (two stints at Benetton Treviso). It was also noted in the story that D’Antoni, who has two years remaining on his contract with the Lakers, isn’t expected to make such a move. However, in a story written by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com it was stated that there is mutual interest.
In four seasons at Marshall Tom Herrion posted a record of 67 wins and 67 losses, leading the Thundering Herd to postseason appearances in 2011 (CIT) and 2012 (NIT). Marshall loses just one senior from this season’s team, 7-foot-2 center Yous Mbao.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)