Mar 27, 2014, 8:56 PM EST
Jerome Seagears and Robert Lumpkins, two former Rutgers players that have since transferred out of the program, have filed a lawsuit against the university, according to a report from MyCentralJersey.com.
The complaint named Rutgers University, former president Richard McCormick, current president Robert Barchi, former athletics director Tim Pernetti, former head coach Mike Rice and current head coach Eddie Jordan. Seagears and Lumpkins are the second and third of Rice’s former players to file a lawsuit against the university. Derrick Randall, who has since transferred to Pittsburgh, also sued the school, but he didn’t name Jordan in his suit.
According to the report, the reason for the lawsuit is that “Jordan retaliated against plaintiff Seagears by doing acts including but not limited to: removing him from the starting lineup; significantly reducing his playing time; removing him from practices; and ultimately suspending him from the team without reason or justification.” Seagears is alleging that Jordan was retaliating against him for planning on filing the lawsuit.
Seagears transferred to Auburn after Rice was fired, but opted to return to Rutgers before the season began. Rice was fired from the Rutgers program after a video of his verbally and physically abusing players was released to ESPN’s Outside The Lines.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 0
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)