Mar 27, 2014, 8:56 PM EST
Jerome Seagears and Robert Lumpkins, two former Rutgers players that have since transferred out of the program, have filed a lawsuit against the university, according to a report from MyCentralJersey.com.
The complaint named Rutgers University, former president Richard McCormick, current president Robert Barchi, former athletics director Tim Pernetti, former head coach Mike Rice and current head coach Eddie Jordan. Seagears and Lumpkins are the second and third of Rice’s former players to file a lawsuit against the university. Derrick Randall, who has since transferred to Pittsburgh, also sued the school, but he didn’t name Jordan in his suit.
According to the report, the reason for the lawsuit is that “Jordan retaliated against plaintiff Seagears by doing acts including but not limited to: removing him from the starting lineup; significantly reducing his playing time; removing him from practices; and ultimately suspending him from the team without reason or justification.” Seagears is alleging that Jordan was retaliating against him for planning on filing the lawsuit.
Seagears transferred to Auburn after Rice was fired, but opted to return to Rutgers before the season began. Rice was fired from the Rutgers program after a video of his verbally and physically abusing players was released to ESPN’s Outside The Lines.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 0
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)