Mar 27, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
With Buzz Williams moving on to fill the head coaching vacancy at Marquette, the Big East program has been hard at work looking for a replacement. One name that came up immediately was that of VCU head coach Shaka Smart, who is a native of Wisconsin. Some outlets even went far enough to report that Smart had agreed to become the new head coach at Marquette.
However that wasn’t true and according to a report by Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com, Smart won’t be making the move from Richmond to Milwaukee. In five seasons at VCU Smart has amassed a record of 137 wins and 46 losses, leading the Rams to four NCAA tournament appearances and a Final Four in 2011.
Last spring Smart’s name was one that came up for the vacancy at UCLA (along with that of current Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens), with the school ultimately hiring Steve Alford to replace Ben Howland.
So where does Marquette go from here? Parrish provided a few possibilities in his story:
Among the possible candidates at Marquette now are former UCLA coach Ben Howland, Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins and Green Bay coach Brian Wardle.
Smart and VCU came to agreement on a new contract that runs through 2028 back in October, with his guaranteed compensation for the 2013-14 season reaching $1.45 million and due to increase to $1.5 million in future seasons.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)