Mar 28, 2014, 2:39 AM EDT
As a freshman at USC this season, 6-foot-6 forward Roschon Prince averaged 4.2 points and 2.7 rebounds in just over 11 minutes of action per game. Prince didn’t receive a large amount of playing time during Pac-12 play, as he didn’t see action in five games and played single-digit minutes in seven others.
With this being the case Prince made the decision to transfer, and as reported by Mike Guardabascio of the Long Beach Press-Telegram the forward is headed to Long Beach State. Prince is a Long Beach native, and at Long Beach Poly he became the lone player in school history to surpass the 2,000-point mark.
According to the report Prince will sit out the 2014-15 season and have three years of eligibility beginning with the 2015-16 campaign. Long Beach State has nine juniors on the 2013-14 roster, so adding Prince to the fold will give them a newcomer who knows what head coach Dan Monson wants to run when 2015 rolls around.
As for why he made the decision to join the Long Beach State program, Prince stated the following in the story:
One of the things that appealed to Prince about Long Beach State, besides the zip code, is the way he said head coach Dan Monson and his staff know how to use their players. “They really don’t pigeonhole people into being a two or a three,” he said. “They play the five best players…and they’re not just going to stick me down on the block.”
With guards Mike Caffey (16.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 4.2 apg) and Tyler Lamb (15.4, 3.6, 2.2) leading the returnees in 2014-15, Prince will have some experienced players to learn the Long Beach State system from while sharpening his skills for a return to the court in 2015.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)