Mar 28, 2014, 10:02 AM EST
George Washington has extended the contract of head coach Mike Lonergan, the school announced on Friday afternoon. He will remain under contract through the 2020-2021 season.
“When I was hired at GW three years ago it fulfilled a career-long dream to coach at the highest level of college basketball,” said Lonergan in a statement. “Having had the opportunity to return to my roots and once again coach in the area where I grew up, it’s now my truest hope that this will be where I retire. I’m very grateful to be able to coach this proud program, and I want to thank President Knapp, Patrick Nero, my family, friends, players, assistants and staff who have helped to make this possible.”
The Colonials went 24-9 this past season which included an 11-5 mark in the Atlantic 10 and a trip to the NCAA tournament. That’s the second-most wins in school history and an 11 win improvement from a season earlier. Lonergan is now 47-47 in three seasons in Foggy Bottom.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)