Mar 28, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
George Washington has extended the contract of head coach Mike Lonergan, the school announced on Friday afternoon. He will remain under contract through the 2020-2021 season.
“When I was hired at GW three years ago it fulfilled a career-long dream to coach at the highest level of college basketball,” said Lonergan in a statement. “Having had the opportunity to return to my roots and once again coach in the area where I grew up, it’s now my truest hope that this will be where I retire. I’m very grateful to be able to coach this proud program, and I want to thank President Knapp, Patrick Nero, my family, friends, players, assistants and staff who have helped to make this possible.”
The Colonials went 24-9 this past season which included an 11-5 mark in the Atlantic 10 and a trip to the NCAA tournament. That’s the second-most wins in school history and an 11 win improvement from a season earlier. Lonergan is now 47-47 in three seasons in Foggy Bottom.
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)