Mar 28, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
George Washington has extended the contract of head coach Mike Lonergan, the school announced on Friday afternoon. He will remain under contract through the 2020-2021 season.
“When I was hired at GW three years ago it fulfilled a career-long dream to coach at the highest level of college basketball,” said Lonergan in a statement. “Having had the opportunity to return to my roots and once again coach in the area where I grew up, it’s now my truest hope that this will be where I retire. I’m very grateful to be able to coach this proud program, and I want to thank President Knapp, Patrick Nero, my family, friends, players, assistants and staff who have helped to make this possible.”
The Colonials went 24-9 this past season which included an 11-5 mark in the Atlantic 10 and a trip to the NCAA tournament. That’s the second-most wins in school history and an 11 win improvement from a season earlier. Lonergan is now 47-47 in three seasons in Foggy Bottom.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)