Mar 28, 2014, 10:02 AM EST
George Washington has extended the contract of head coach Mike Lonergan, the school announced on Friday afternoon. He will remain under contract through the 2020-2021 season.
“When I was hired at GW three years ago it fulfilled a career-long dream to coach at the highest level of college basketball,” said Lonergan in a statement. “Having had the opportunity to return to my roots and once again coach in the area where I grew up, it’s now my truest hope that this will be where I retire. I’m very grateful to be able to coach this proud program, and I want to thank President Knapp, Patrick Nero, my family, friends, players, assistants and staff who have helped to make this possible.”
The Colonials went 24-9 this past season which included an 11-5 mark in the Atlantic 10 and a trip to the NCAA tournament. That’s the second-most wins in school history and an 11 win improvement from a season earlier. Lonergan is now 47-47 in three seasons in Foggy Bottom.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 0
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)