Mar 28, 2014, 7:42 PM EST
When Ken Bone was fired several weeks ago, one of the first coaches mentioned to replaced Bone was Boise State’s Leon Rice. However, since winning in Pullman is one of the most difficult tasks in all of Division I, it wasn’t expected that Rice, a former Gonzaga assistant who has quickly built the Broncos program, would be interested. Perhaps, though, Rice’s desire for Wazzu was underappreciated: the Spokesman-Review reports Rice has interviewed for the vacant Pac-12 position.
The report, penned by Jacob Thorpe, also confirms the university’s president has extended a job offer to a candidate, but it is not known whether Rice is that candidate, or if another coach has been to Pullman in recent days.
It will be interesting to follow the progression of the Wazzu search considering this new information. Rice has been very effective elevating BSU to the top of the Mountain West, and while the team does lose Ryan Watkins and Jeff Elorriaga following the 2014 campaign, Mikey Thompson, Anthony Drmic, and Derrick Marks are all scheduled to return, so there is depth with which Rice can build for 2014-15.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 0
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)