Mar 28, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
When Ken Bone was fired several weeks ago, one of the first coaches mentioned to replaced Bone was Boise State’s Leon Rice. However, since winning in Pullman is one of the most difficult tasks in all of Division I, it wasn’t expected that Rice, a former Gonzaga assistant who has quickly built the Broncos program, would be interested. Perhaps, though, Rice’s desire for Wazzu was underappreciated: the Spokesman-Review reports Rice has interviewed for the vacant Pac-12 position.
The report, penned by Jacob Thorpe, also confirms the university’s president has extended a job offer to a candidate, but it is not known whether Rice is that candidate, or if another coach has been to Pullman in recent days.
It will be interesting to follow the progression of the Wazzu search considering this new information. Rice has been very effective elevating BSU to the top of the Mountain West, and while the team does lose Ryan Watkins and Jeff Elorriaga following the 2014 campaign, Mikey Thompson, Anthony Drmic, and Derrick Marks are all scheduled to return, so there is depth with which Rice can build for 2014-15.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)