Mar 28, 2014, 7:42 PM EST
When Ken Bone was fired several weeks ago, one of the first coaches mentioned to replaced Bone was Boise State’s Leon Rice. However, since winning in Pullman is one of the most difficult tasks in all of Division I, it wasn’t expected that Rice, a former Gonzaga assistant who has quickly built the Broncos program, would be interested. Perhaps, though, Rice’s desire for Wazzu was underappreciated: the Spokesman-Review reports Rice has interviewed for the vacant Pac-12 position.
The report, penned by Jacob Thorpe, also confirms the university’s president has extended a job offer to a candidate, but it is not known whether Rice is that candidate, or if another coach has been to Pullman in recent days.
It will be interesting to follow the progression of the Wazzu search considering this new information. Rice has been very effective elevating BSU to the top of the Mountain West, and while the team does lose Ryan Watkins and Jeff Elorriaga following the 2014 campaign, Mikey Thompson, Anthony Drmic, and Derrick Marks are all scheduled to return, so there is depth with which Rice can build for 2014-15.
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)