Mar 28, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
Days after making the decision to not offer its vacant head coaching position to Steve Masiello due to a discrepancy on the Manhattan head coach’s resume, South Florida reportedly has its sights set on a new candidate.
According to Matt Youmans of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, the school has been in contact with UNLV head coach Dave Rice and reportedly offered him a five-year contract worth $1.2 million per season. Rice currently has a base salary of $700,000 at UNLV, and in three seasons at the Mountain West school he has a record of 71 wins and 32 losses.
Sources indicated Rice was contacted by South Florida officials soon after the school rescinded an offer to Manhattan’s Steve Masiello, whose deal fell through after he failed a background check.
Rice’s contract at UNLV has three years remaining at $700,000 per year. A proposed two-year extension for Rice has not been forwarded to the Board of Regents.
UNLV finished the 2013-14 season with a 20-13 record, a mark seen as disappointing by many who expected the Runnin’ Rebels to not only contend in the Mountain West but also reach the NCAA tournament. The offseason was expected to be an intriguing one due in part to the arrival of one of the nation’s best recruiting classes, which includes guard Rashad Vaughn (who hasn’t signed a letter of intent yet), wing Dwayne Morgan and center Goodluck Okonoboh.
UNLV will also add San Francisco transfer Cody Doolin, who will be the facilitator the team desperately needed this season. However with the report of Rice holding an offer from South Florida, UNLV could be faced with another hole to fill.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)