Mar 28, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
Days after making the decision to not offer its vacant head coaching position to Steve Masiello due to a discrepancy on the Manhattan head coach’s resume, South Florida reportedly has its sights set on a new candidate.
According to Matt Youmans of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, the school has been in contact with UNLV head coach Dave Rice and reportedly offered him a five-year contract worth $1.2 million per season. Rice currently has a base salary of $700,000 at UNLV, and in three seasons at the Mountain West school he has a record of 71 wins and 32 losses.
Sources indicated Rice was contacted by South Florida officials soon after the school rescinded an offer to Manhattan’s Steve Masiello, whose deal fell through after he failed a background check.
Rice’s contract at UNLV has three years remaining at $700,000 per year. A proposed two-year extension for Rice has not been forwarded to the Board of Regents.
UNLV finished the 2013-14 season with a 20-13 record, a mark seen as disappointing by many who expected the Runnin’ Rebels to not only contend in the Mountain West but also reach the NCAA tournament. The offseason was expected to be an intriguing one due in part to the arrival of one of the nation’s best recruiting classes, which includes guard Rashad Vaughn (who hasn’t signed a letter of intent yet), wing Dwayne Morgan and center Goodluck Okonoboh.
UNLV will also add San Francisco transfer Cody Doolin, who will be the facilitator the team desperately needed this season. However with the report of Rice holding an offer from South Florida, UNLV could be faced with another hole to fill.
- Two-time plane crash survivor Austin Hatch scores first career point in Michigan win (VIDEO) 0
- Late Night Snacks: Temple blows out Kansas, Purdue loses to Gardner-Webb 0
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)