Mar 28, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Days after making the decision to not offer its vacant head coaching position to Steve Masiello due to a discrepancy on the Manhattan head coach’s resume, South Florida reportedly has its sights set on a new candidate.
According to Matt Youmans of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, the school has been in contact with UNLV head coach Dave Rice and reportedly offered him a five-year contract worth $1.2 million per season. Rice currently has a base salary of $700,000 at UNLV, and in three seasons at the Mountain West school he has a record of 71 wins and 32 losses.
Sources indicated Rice was contacted by South Florida officials soon after the school rescinded an offer to Manhattan’s Steve Masiello, whose deal fell through after he failed a background check.
Rice’s contract at UNLV has three years remaining at $700,000 per year. A proposed two-year extension for Rice has not been forwarded to the Board of Regents.
UNLV finished the 2013-14 season with a 20-13 record, a mark seen as disappointing by many who expected the Runnin’ Rebels to not only contend in the Mountain West but also reach the NCAA tournament. The offseason was expected to be an intriguing one due in part to the arrival of one of the nation’s best recruiting classes, which includes guard Rashad Vaughn (who hasn’t signed a letter of intent yet), wing Dwayne Morgan and center Goodluck Okonoboh.
UNLV will also add San Francisco transfer Cody Doolin, who will be the facilitator the team desperately needed this season. However with the report of Rice holding an offer from South Florida, UNLV could be faced with another hole to fill.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)