Mar 28, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
During a Xavier practice in mid-January freshman forward Kamall Richards suffered a torn ACL in his left knee, ending the Brooklyn native’s debut campaign after playing just seven games. And those seven games will be the only ones Richard will play at the Big East school, with Xavier announcing Friday that Richards will transfer.
“We wish Kamall the best and hope he finds success beyond Xavier University,” head coach Chris Mack said in the release. “The decision will allow Kamall to get fully healthy in his sit out year so that he can make the type of impact he wants to at the Division I level.“
Richards averaged 0.7 points and 0.6 rebounds in seven games this season. And with the forward playing in fewer than 30% of Xavier’s games this season, it would be interesting to see if Richards’ next school would consider applying for a medical hardship waiver (and whether or not the NCAA would approve the request).
That way, Richards could potentially regain the season of eligibility lost when he suffered the knee injury. But that’s something to be discussed down the line, with Richards now going through the process of both finding a new school and rehabbing his knee.
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)