Mar 28, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
During a Xavier practice in mid-January freshman forward Kamall Richards suffered a torn ACL in his left knee, ending the Brooklyn native’s debut campaign after playing just seven games. And those seven games will be the only ones Richard will play at the Big East school, with Xavier announcing Friday that Richards will transfer.
“We wish Kamall the best and hope he finds success beyond Xavier University,” head coach Chris Mack said in the release. “The decision will allow Kamall to get fully healthy in his sit out year so that he can make the type of impact he wants to at the Division I level.“
Richards averaged 0.7 points and 0.6 rebounds in seven games this season. And with the forward playing in fewer than 30% of Xavier’s games this season, it would be interesting to see if Richards’ next school would consider applying for a medical hardship waiver (and whether or not the NCAA would approve the request).
That way, Richards could potentially regain the season of eligibility lost when he suffered the knee injury. But that’s something to be discussed down the line, with Richards now going through the process of both finding a new school and rehabbing his knee.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)