Mar 28, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
During a Xavier practice in mid-January freshman forward Kamall Richards suffered a torn ACL in his left knee, ending the Brooklyn native’s debut campaign after playing just seven games. And those seven games will be the only ones Richard will play at the Big East school, with Xavier announcing Friday that Richards will transfer.
“We wish Kamall the best and hope he finds success beyond Xavier University,” head coach Chris Mack said in the release. “The decision will allow Kamall to get fully healthy in his sit out year so that he can make the type of impact he wants to at the Division I level.“
Richards averaged 0.7 points and 0.6 rebounds in seven games this season. And with the forward playing in fewer than 30% of Xavier’s games this season, it would be interesting to see if Richards’ next school would consider applying for a medical hardship waiver (and whether or not the NCAA would approve the request).
That way, Richards could potentially regain the season of eligibility lost when he suffered the knee injury. But that’s something to be discussed down the line, with Richards now going through the process of both finding a new school and rehabbing his knee.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)