Mar 28, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
During a Xavier practice in mid-January freshman forward Kamall Richards suffered a torn ACL in his left knee, ending the Brooklyn native’s debut campaign after playing just seven games. And those seven games will be the only ones Richard will play at the Big East school, with Xavier announcing Friday that Richards will transfer.
“We wish Kamall the best and hope he finds success beyond Xavier University,” head coach Chris Mack said in the release. “The decision will allow Kamall to get fully healthy in his sit out year so that he can make the type of impact he wants to at the Division I level.“
Richards averaged 0.7 points and 0.6 rebounds in seven games this season. And with the forward playing in fewer than 30% of Xavier’s games this season, it would be interesting to see if Richards’ next school would consider applying for a medical hardship waiver (and whether or not the NCAA would approve the request).
That way, Richards could potentially regain the season of eligibility lost when he suffered the knee injury. But that’s something to be discussed down the line, with Richards now going through the process of both finding a new school and rehabbing his knee.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)