Mar 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Xavier guard Semaj Christon significantly improved his game during this past offseason. Known as the sophomore leap, Christon became a better finisher around the rim, and started to develop his perimeter skills, unveiling a burgeoning jumpshot. According to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, coach Chris Mack received just two years to refine Christon’s skillset: the guard will declare for the 2014 NBA draft.
Mack and Company have the requisite depth to handle Christon’s absence; Dee Davis should return for his final season, and should the incoming roster remain stagnant, the extra minutes will benefit Brandon Randolph and Edmond Sumner. What Xavier will miss without Christon is the element of aggressiveness that the sophomore imbued on the squad; Christon was one of the nation’s best at getting into the lane and drawing fouls.
The loss of Christon, though, has consequences that extend well past Cincinnati — the Big East simply continues to take hits. Buzz Williams left Marquette for Virginia Tech, Mack’s name has been whispered for the opening at Wake Forest, JaKarr Sampson similarly declared for the professional ranks, and now Christon’s announcement. The conference might be entering the realm where it is high major only in the eyes of those who still remember the sweater game and Rip Hamilton. It has endured knocks that have severely diminished its reputation as a premier league.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)