Mar 29, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
With Marquette swinging for the fences and missing on VCU head coach Shaka Smart during its first attempt to replace Buzz Williams, the Golden Eagles have dug in for their second at-bat as the Big East program will reportedly target Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin and former UCLA head coach Ben Howland.
According to a report from ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman, Marquette is interested in Martin, who led Tennessee to the Sweet 16 after back-to-back NIT appearances, and Howland, who didn’t coach this season after his stint at UCLA.
Howland is evidently very interested in the Marquette job — per Goodman — but Martin could be an intriguing candidate. After a small — but vocal — section of the Tennessee fanbase made it clear that they prefer Bruce Pearl, — now at Auburn — does Martin want to come back to the Vols and those fans that wanted to boot him in favor of a former coach? That’ll be the question that we find out in the next few days as Marquette could really make a big push to go after Martin.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)