Mar 29, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
With Marquette swinging for the fences and missing on VCU head coach Shaka Smart during its first attempt to replace Buzz Williams, the Golden Eagles have dug in for their second at-bat as the Big East program will reportedly target Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin and former UCLA head coach Ben Howland.
According to a report from ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman, Marquette is interested in Martin, who led Tennessee to the Sweet 16 after back-to-back NIT appearances, and Howland, who didn’t coach this season after his stint at UCLA.
Howland is evidently very interested in the Marquette job — per Goodman — but Martin could be an intriguing candidate. After a small — but vocal — section of the Tennessee fanbase made it clear that they prefer Bruce Pearl, — now at Auburn — does Martin want to come back to the Vols and those fans that wanted to boot him in favor of a former coach? That’ll be the question that we find out in the next few days as Marquette could really make a big push to go after Martin.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)