Mar 29, 2014, 3:50 PM EST
With Marquette swinging for the fences and missing on VCU head coach Shaka Smart during its first attempt to replace Buzz Williams, the Golden Eagles have dug in for their second at-bat as the Big East program will reportedly target Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin and former UCLA head coach Ben Howland.
According to a report from ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman, Marquette is interested in Martin, who led Tennessee to the Sweet 16 after back-to-back NIT appearances, and Howland, who didn’t coach this season after his stint at UCLA.
Howland is evidently very interested in the Marquette job — per Goodman — but Martin could be an intriguing candidate. After a small — but vocal — section of the Tennessee fanbase made it clear that they prefer Bruce Pearl, — now at Auburn — does Martin want to come back to the Vols and those fans that wanted to boot him in favor of a former coach? That’ll be the question that we find out in the next few days as Marquette could really make a big push to go after Martin.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)