Mar 29, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Whether or not UNLV head coach Dave Rice received an offer from South Florida is something that has been debated over the last 24 hours, with most stories leaning towards the American Athletic Conference school having done so. That soap opera is apparently over, as Saturday afternoon UNLV announced that it has recommended to the state’s Board of Regents that Rice’s contract be extended through 2019.
“I am excited about the future of our men’s basketball program at UNLV and appreciate the confidence that the administration has in the direction we are headed,” Rice said in the release. “Our staff has done a good job of assembling next season’s team. We are looking forward to coaching the returning players as well as the newcomers.”
In three seasons at his alma mater Rice has a record of 71-32, and expectations will be high next season due to a combination of quality returnees and one of the best recruiting classes in the country. In addition to the highly regarded freshman class UNLV will also add San Francisco transfer Cody Doolin, who will immediately make the Runnin’ Rebels better at the point guard position.
UNLV, expected to contend for the Mountain West title this season, finished 20-13 overall and 10-8 in conference play. The Runnin’ Rebels did not participate in postseason play after being passed up by the Postseason NIT.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)