Mar 29, 2014, 8:04 PM EST
Whether or not UNLV head coach Dave Rice received an offer from South Florida is something that has been debated over the last 24 hours, with most stories leaning towards the American Athletic Conference school having done so. That soap opera is apparently over, as Saturday afternoon UNLV announced that it has recommended to the state’s Board of Regents that Rice’s contract be extended through 2019.
“I am excited about the future of our men’s basketball program at UNLV and appreciate the confidence that the administration has in the direction we are headed,” Rice said in the release. “Our staff has done a good job of assembling next season’s team. We are looking forward to coaching the returning players as well as the newcomers.”
In three seasons at his alma mater Rice has a record of 71-32, and expectations will be high next season due to a combination of quality returnees and one of the best recruiting classes in the country. In addition to the highly regarded freshman class UNLV will also add San Francisco transfer Cody Doolin, who will immediately make the Runnin’ Rebels better at the point guard position.
UNLV, expected to contend for the Mountain West title this season, finished 20-13 overall and 10-8 in conference play. The Runnin’ Rebels did not participate in postseason play after being passed up by the Postseason NIT.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)