Mar 29, 2014, 8:04 PM EST
Whether or not UNLV head coach Dave Rice received an offer from South Florida is something that has been debated over the last 24 hours, with most stories leaning towards the American Athletic Conference school having done so. That soap opera is apparently over, as Saturday afternoon UNLV announced that it has recommended to the state’s Board of Regents that Rice’s contract be extended through 2019.
“I am excited about the future of our men’s basketball program at UNLV and appreciate the confidence that the administration has in the direction we are headed,” Rice said in the release. “Our staff has done a good job of assembling next season’s team. We are looking forward to coaching the returning players as well as the newcomers.”
In three seasons at his alma mater Rice has a record of 71-32, and expectations will be high next season due to a combination of quality returnees and one of the best recruiting classes in the country. In addition to the highly regarded freshman class UNLV will also add San Francisco transfer Cody Doolin, who will immediately make the Runnin’ Rebels better at the point guard position.
UNLV, expected to contend for the Mountain West title this season, finished 20-13 overall and 10-8 in conference play. The Runnin’ Rebels did not participate in postseason play after being passed up by the Postseason NIT.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 1
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (10)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)