Mar 29, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Whether or not UNLV head coach Dave Rice received an offer from South Florida is something that has been debated over the last 24 hours, with most stories leaning towards the American Athletic Conference school having done so. That soap opera is apparently over, as Saturday afternoon UNLV announced that it has recommended to the state’s Board of Regents that Rice’s contract be extended through 2019.
“I am excited about the future of our men’s basketball program at UNLV and appreciate the confidence that the administration has in the direction we are headed,” Rice said in the release. “Our staff has done a good job of assembling next season’s team. We are looking forward to coaching the returning players as well as the newcomers.”
In three seasons at his alma mater Rice has a record of 71-32, and expectations will be high next season due to a combination of quality returnees and one of the best recruiting classes in the country. In addition to the highly regarded freshman class UNLV will also add San Francisco transfer Cody Doolin, who will immediately make the Runnin’ Rebels better at the point guard position.
UNLV, expected to contend for the Mountain West title this season, finished 20-13 overall and 10-8 in conference play. The Runnin’ Rebels did not participate in postseason play after being passed up by the Postseason NIT.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)