Mar 29, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Willie Cauley-Stein, who injured his left ankle in Kentucky’s win over Louisville in the Sweet 16, is doubtful for Sunday’s game against No. 2 seed Michigan.
”I will tell you, he’s still in a boot. He’s doubtful. He’s acting like he thinks he can do something, and I would be stunned if he played in this game,” John Calipari said Saturday during Kentucky’s media day. “But he’s saying that he may want to give it a try. But he hasn’t been out of that boot. So he went down and hit it pretty good.
The positive news in this situation is that the injury to Cauley-Stein is only his ankle. “No, it’s his ankle. Not an Achilles,” Calipari said.
Cauley-Stein averaged 7.0 points, 6.2 boards and 2.9 blocks this season, but he has been coming off the bench in recent games. He injured his left ankle in the first half of Friday night’s win and did not return to the game, as CBS sideline reporter Tracy Wolfson reported that Cauley-Stein told trainers that “he heard it pop”.
Cauley-Stein is the most athletic player on Kentucky’s front line, but the good news is that John Calipari has plenty of front court pieces at his disposal. Dakari Johnson has been starting alongside Julius Randle, and this could mean extended minutes for him. It should also lead to more playing time for Alex Poythress.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Williams’ arraignment on first degree suspicion of forgery charges was postponed until September 2.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Gabriel is a five-star prospect with offers from Kentucky and Duke.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Dambrot is the head coach at Akron.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Westbrook wasn’t a top 25 prospect in high school. He was a top three player in the NBA last year.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
It’s the first preseason all-american team that we’ve seen this summer.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT
Zeller handed out a warning. Michael McRobbie was a bit more upset.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will take an official visit to one of the four schools this weekend.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
Bryn Forbes scored 18 points to lead a balanced scoring attack for the Spartans.
Aug 26, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
Michael McRobbie’s address came two days after Emmitt Holt and Thomas Bryant were cited for illegal possession of alcohol.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
Seton Hall AD said his coaches haven’t had to deal with negative recruiting re: cost of attendance stipends, but he’s ready to act if so.
Aug 26, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
Lauren Hill raised more than $1.8 million for pediatric cancer research before she passed away.
Aug 26, 2015, 12:06 PM EDT
Get a look at potential No. 1 pick Ben Simmons.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
He’s still the second-highest paid Pitino in the coaching world.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
A battle between Kentucky and Kansas headlines this event.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
There’s really nothing more important than that for a 10-year old boy.
Aug 25, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Class of 2016 point guard Jaylen Fisher had some great highlights this summer.
Aug 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Jakob Poeltl is a potential top-10 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, but he has to improve his 44 percent free-throw shooting.
Aug 25, 2015, 8:20 PM EDT
Kansas State is getting an experienced forward back in its rotation.
Aug 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
St. John’s has some tough games during its first non-conference schedule under Chris Mullin.
Aug 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Cincinnati could soon be getting a much-needed upgrade to Fifth Third Arena.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)