Mar 30, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
One of the more recognizable college basketball analysts will make a return to the sidelines for the 2014-2015 season.
On Sunday evening, ESPN college basketball analyst, Jimmy Dykes, will be introduced as the new Arkansas women’s head coach. An introductory press conference will be held at Bud Walton Arena at 6:30 p.m.
Dykes will replace Tom Collen, who coached the team for seven seasons.
“After meeting with him and discussing our program, it was clear to me that Jimmy Dykes is not only the best leader for our women’s basketball program, but also the best Coach for the student-athletes in our program,” Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long said in a statement. “I have known Jimmy for many years but learned of his passion and commitment to his alma mater, the University of Arkansas, when I arrived on campus.
“I have always respected his tremendous basketball knowledge and his understanding of the game, but as I got to know Jimmy better, l became aware of his strong coaching background including his tenures at some of the nation’s top college basketball programs. Jimmy’s coaching pedigree working with some of the best coaches in the business, combined with his ability to teach the game of basketball, made him the clear choice as the head women’s basketball coach at the University of Arkansas.”
This will be the first time Dykes serves as a women’s coach in his career. Before joining ESPN, he was part of coaching staffs at Sacramento State, Appalachian State University, Arkansas-Little Rock, Kentucky and Oklahoma State. His coaching career began at Arkansas, his alma mater, as an assistant under Eddie Sutton.
Arkansas finished 19-11 (6-10 SEC) this season.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)