Mar 30, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
While Badger fans flocked to State Street in Madison to celebrate Wisconsin’s berth in the Final Four, a much different scene unfolded in Tucson on University Boulevard.
Following the 64-63 loss to Wisconsin, Arizona fans were asked to disperse by police officers from both the University of Arizona and the Tucson Police Department, who were lining the streets with riot gear. The scene turned violent as it was documented in a release from the Tucson PD on Saturday night:
The majority of the crowd did not respond to the dispersal order and began throwing beer bottles, beer cans and firecrackers at the officers. Several of the firecrackers rolled underneath a patrol vehicle that was deployed with the Mobile Field Force Units. As the crowd began to move closer to the officers, pepper ball rounds were used in an attempt to disperse the crowd. Several individuals continued to advance at the officers and were taken into custody.
In all 15 arrests were made with charges ranging from unlawful assembly to resisting arrest to disorderly conduct.
The image below is a photo of a student being arrested. He can be seen in the video above at the 0:19 second mark, taking pepper balls to the chest and stomach before multiple officers stepped in to detain the individual.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)