Mar 30, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
When the final buzzer sounded in No. 2 Kansas’ loss to No. 10 Stanford in the round of 32, there was the general feeling that the college career of freshman wing Andrew Wiggins had come to an end. And according to multiple reports Sunday evening, that will become official on Monday.
Kansas announced that Wiggins will hold a press conference Monday at 3:00 p.m. CST, and reports from both ESPN and the Lawrence Journal-World have the Canadian announcing his decision to enter the 2014 NBA Draft at that time. Wiggins averaged 17.1 points and 5.9 rebounds per game this season, earning Big 12 Freshman of the Year and first team All-Big 12 honors.
In addition to the conference accolades Wiggins was also a second team All-America selection by both the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) and National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC). He’ll likely be an AP All-America selection as well when those teams are announced.
Wiggins moving on to the next level doesn’t come as a surprise, and from a recruiting standpoint Bill Self and his staff have accounted for his imminent departure. In addition to guards Wayne Selden and Brannen Greene returning for their sophomore seasons, Kansas adds highly regarded wing Kelly Oubre.
Oubre is one of two recruits joining the program next season, with power forward Cliff Alexander being the other, and the Jayhawks also add Arkansas transfer Hunter Mickelson.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)