Mar 30, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
When the final buzzer sounded in No. 2 Kansas’ loss to No. 10 Stanford in the round of 32, there was the general feeling that the college career of freshman wing Andrew Wiggins had come to an end. And according to multiple reports Sunday evening, that will become official on Monday.
Kansas announced that Wiggins will hold a press conference Monday at 3:00 p.m. CST, and reports from both ESPN and the Lawrence Journal-World have the Canadian announcing his decision to enter the 2014 NBA Draft at that time. Wiggins averaged 17.1 points and 5.9 rebounds per game this season, earning Big 12 Freshman of the Year and first team All-Big 12 honors.
In addition to the conference accolades Wiggins was also a second team All-America selection by both the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) and National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC). He’ll likely be an AP All-America selection as well when those teams are announced.
Wiggins moving on to the next level doesn’t come as a surprise, and from a recruiting standpoint Bill Self and his staff have accounted for his imminent departure. In addition to guards Wayne Selden and Brannen Greene returning for their sophomore seasons, Kansas adds highly regarded wing Kelly Oubre.
Oubre is one of two recruits joining the program next season, with power forward Cliff Alexander being the other, and the Jayhawks also add Arkansas transfer Hunter Mickelson.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)