Mar 30, 2014, 10:08 PM EST
When the final buzzer sounded in No. 2 Kansas’ loss to No. 10 Stanford in the round of 32, there was the general feeling that the college career of freshman wing Andrew Wiggins had come to an end. And according to multiple reports Sunday evening, that will become official on Monday.
Kansas announced that Wiggins will hold a press conference Monday at 3:00 p.m. CST, and reports from both ESPN and the Lawrence Journal-World have the Canadian announcing his decision to enter the 2014 NBA Draft at that time. Wiggins averaged 17.1 points and 5.9 rebounds per game this season, earning Big 12 Freshman of the Year and first team All-Big 12 honors.
In addition to the conference accolades Wiggins was also a second team All-America selection by both the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) and National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC). He’ll likely be an AP All-America selection as well when those teams are announced.
Wiggins moving on to the next level doesn’t come as a surprise, and from a recruiting standpoint Bill Self and his staff have accounted for his imminent departure. In addition to guards Wayne Selden and Brannen Greene returning for their sophomore seasons, Kansas adds highly regarded wing Kelly Oubre.
Oubre is one of two recruits joining the program next season, with power forward Cliff Alexander being the other, and the Jayhawks also add Arkansas transfer Hunter Mickelson.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)