Mar 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, South Florida relieved head coach Stan Heath of his duties following a 12-20 (3-15 American Athletic Conference) season.
It comes as no surprise that Heath’s son, Josh, a freshman guard for the Bulls, decided to transfer out of the program. The latest college basketball transfer was reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports on Sunday morning.
The 6-foot-2 guard averaged 2.6 points, 3.6 assists and 1.4 rebounds per game in 17 games, all of which came against American Athletic Conference opponents. Coming out of Tampa Prep (Fla.), Heath held offers from DePaul, Princeton, Georgia Southern, Jacksonville and North Florida before deciding to join his father at USF.
Heath will have three years of eligibility remaining. He will likely get a waiver to play immediately at his new school given that a precedent has been set in previous seasons. Rhode Island fired Jim Baron in 2012. He accepted the Canisius job and his son, Billy, followed him from URI to Canisius and was granted a hardship waiver, allowing him to play in the 2012-2013 season. The same thing occurred the previous season, when Central Michigan fired Ernie Zeigler. His son, Trey, received immediate eligibility when he transferred to Pitt.
South Florida is still in search of a head coach after the deal with Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello had to be axed after a background check revealed he had never received a degree from the University of Kentucky. UNLV head coach Dave Rice was being targeted, but Rice is in the process of getting an extension from the Runnin’ Rebels.
Stan Heath was fired after seven seasons with the Bulls.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)