Mar 31, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
California head coach Mike Montgomery is retiring, the program announced on their twitter feed. A formal announcement is expected after he informs his team.
Monty has coached at Cal the past six seasons. He was previously at Stanford, for 18 years, and Montana before spending some time in the NBA with the Golden State Warriors.
The Golden Bears were 21-14 this past season, losing to SMU in the NIT.
Cal becomes the second Pac-12 job that’s open, along with Washington State. It’s the fifth high-major position available — Wazzu, Wake Forest, Marquette and Boston College are the other four.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)