Mar 31, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
California head coach Mike Montgomery is retiring, the program announced on their twitter feed. A formal announcement is expected after he informs his team.
Monty has coached at Cal the past six seasons. He was previously at Stanford, for 18 years, and Montana before spending some time in the NBA with the Golden State Warriors.
The Golden Bears were 21-14 this past season, losing to SMU in the NIT.
Cal becomes the second Pac-12 job that’s open, along with Washington State. It’s the fifth high-major position available — Wazzu, Wake Forest, Marquette and Boston College are the other four.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 4
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)