Mar 31, 2014, 3:32 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
California head coach Mike Montgomery is retiring, the program announced on their twitter feed. A formal announcement is expected after he informs his team.
Monty has coached at Cal the past six seasons. He was previously at Stanford, for 18 years, and Montana before spending some time in the NBA with the Golden State Warriors.
The Golden Bears were 21-14 this past season, losing to SMU in the NIT.
Cal becomes the second Pac-12 job that’s open, along with Washington State. It’s the fifth high-major position available — Wazzu, Wake Forest, Marquette and Boston College are the other four.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)