Mar 31, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
California head coach Mike Montgomery is retiring, the program announced on their twitter feed. A formal announcement is expected after he informs his team.
Monty has coached at Cal the past six seasons. He was previously at Stanford, for 18 years, and Montana before spending some time in the NBA with the Golden State Warriors.
The Golden Bears were 21-14 this past season, losing to SMU in the NIT.
Cal becomes the second Pac-12 job that’s open, along with Washington State. It’s the fifth high-major position available — Wazzu, Wake Forest, Marquette and Boston College are the other four.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 1
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)