Mar 31, 2014, 12:12 AM EDT
According to a report Sunday afternoon from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, another name has surfaced in the Marquette coaching search.
The name would be that of Duke associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski, who has been a member of Mike Krzyzewski’s staff since 1999. Wojciechowski was promoted to associate head coach in 2008, and during his time on the bench at his alma mater the Blue Devils have won 358 games and two national titles. Duke has also won nine ACC tournament titles during Wojciechowski’s time as a member of Krzyzewski’s staff.
According to the Yahoo report, one of the reasons why Marquette is reportedly interested is the impact another Duke assistant had in his first season as a head coach.
Marquette has been impressed with the impact former Duke assistant coach Chris Collins had in his first season at Northwestern. University of Wisconsin-Green Bay coach Brian Wardle remains an intriguing candidate to Marquette officials too, sources said. Wardle is an ex-Marquette standout and assistant coach.
Another name mentioned with relation to the Marquette vacancy is that of Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin, with Wojnarowski reporting that he and Wojciechowski are the “preferred choices” at this time. According to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.com, the school met with Martin on Sunday.
Marquette’s head coaching position was left vacant by Buzz Williams, who left the Big East school to take over at Virginia Tech. Before missing out on postseason play this season the Golden Eagles made eight consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)