Mar 31, 2014, 12:12 AM EDT
According to a report Sunday afternoon from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, another name has surfaced in the Marquette coaching search.
The name would be that of Duke associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski, who has been a member of Mike Krzyzewski’s staff since 1999. Wojciechowski was promoted to associate head coach in 2008, and during his time on the bench at his alma mater the Blue Devils have won 358 games and two national titles. Duke has also won nine ACC tournament titles during Wojciechowski’s time as a member of Krzyzewski’s staff.
According to the Yahoo report, one of the reasons why Marquette is reportedly interested is the impact another Duke assistant had in his first season as a head coach.
Marquette has been impressed with the impact former Duke assistant coach Chris Collins had in his first season at Northwestern. University of Wisconsin-Green Bay coach Brian Wardle remains an intriguing candidate to Marquette officials too, sources said. Wardle is an ex-Marquette standout and assistant coach.
Another name mentioned with relation to the Marquette vacancy is that of Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin, with Wojnarowski reporting that he and Wojciechowski are the “preferred choices” at this time. According to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.com, the school met with Martin on Sunday.
Marquette’s head coaching position was left vacant by Buzz Williams, who left the Big East school to take over at Virginia Tech. Before missing out on postseason play this season the Golden Eagles made eight consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)