Mar 31, 2014, 12:12 AM EDT
According to a report Sunday afternoon from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, another name has surfaced in the Marquette coaching search.
The name would be that of Duke associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski, who has been a member of Mike Krzyzewski’s staff since 1999. Wojciechowski was promoted to associate head coach in 2008, and during his time on the bench at his alma mater the Blue Devils have won 358 games and two national titles. Duke has also won nine ACC tournament titles during Wojciechowski’s time as a member of Krzyzewski’s staff.
According to the Yahoo report, one of the reasons why Marquette is reportedly interested is the impact another Duke assistant had in his first season as a head coach.
Marquette has been impressed with the impact former Duke assistant coach Chris Collins had in his first season at Northwestern. University of Wisconsin-Green Bay coach Brian Wardle remains an intriguing candidate to Marquette officials too, sources said. Wardle is an ex-Marquette standout and assistant coach.
Another name mentioned with relation to the Marquette vacancy is that of Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin, with Wojnarowski reporting that he and Wojciechowski are the “preferred choices” at this time. According to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN.com, the school met with Martin on Sunday.
Marquette’s head coaching position was left vacant by Buzz Williams, who left the Big East school to take over at Virginia Tech. Before missing out on postseason play this season the Golden Eagles made eight consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Seventh Woods down to three schools, sets official visits (3)
- Former Oklahoma State guard suing university, head coach Travis Ford (3)
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five (2)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- Throwback Thursday: Juan Dixon and company win Maryland’s lone national title (2)