Mar 31, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
A pair of undefeated No. 1 seeds advanced to the Final Four of the 2014 women’s NCAA Tournament on Monday night as UConn and Notre Dame both advanced with wins.
UConn moved to 38-0 this season with a 69-54 win over Texas A&M to claim the Lincoln Regional title while Notre Dame ran past Baylor, 88-69, to make it to the Final Four out of the Notre Dame Regional. The Fighting Irish move to 36-0 on the season.
Notre Dame made its fourth consecutive Final Four behind 30 points from Jewell Loyd and Natalie Achonwa added 19 points and 15 rebounds.
Achonwa went down with a left knee injury in the final five minutes of the game and will have an MRI Tuesday, however as Notre Dame holds its breath.
The Huskies won in the Lincoln Regional as all five starters finished with at least 11 points and the Huskies had 20 assists for 27 field goals.
Center Stefanie Dolan was particularly effective for UConn, scoring 14 points, grabbing 10 rebounds and blocking eight shots.
The Fighting Irish will play the winner of No. 4 Maryland and No. 3 Louisville in Sunday’s Louisville Regional final while UConn will play either No. 2 seed Stanford or No. 4 seed North Carolina in the Stanford Regional final.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)