Mar 31, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
A pair of undefeated No. 1 seeds advanced to the Final Four of the 2014 women’s NCAA Tournament on Monday night as UConn and Notre Dame both advanced with wins.
UConn moved to 38-0 this season with a 69-54 win over Texas A&M to claim the Lincoln Regional title while Notre Dame ran past Baylor, 88-69, to make it to the Final Four out of the Notre Dame Regional. The Fighting Irish move to 36-0 on the season.
Notre Dame made its fourth consecutive Final Four behind 30 points from Jewell Loyd and Natalie Achonwa added 19 points and 15 rebounds.
Achonwa went down with a left knee injury in the final five minutes of the game and will have an MRI Tuesday, however as Notre Dame holds its breath.
The Huskies won in the Lincoln Regional as all five starters finished with at least 11 points and the Huskies had 20 assists for 27 field goals.
Center Stefanie Dolan was particularly effective for UConn, scoring 14 points, grabbing 10 rebounds and blocking eight shots.
The Fighting Irish will play the winner of No. 4 Maryland and No. 3 Louisville in Sunday’s Louisville Regional final while UConn will play either No. 2 seed Stanford or No. 4 seed North Carolina in the Stanford Regional final.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)