Apr 1, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
Alabama will be without fifth-year senior center Carl Engstrom, who will be departing the program in order to pursue a professional playing career in Europe, the university announced on Tuesday evening.
“After talking with coach Grant and my family, I decided it was in my best interest to move on,” Engstrom said in a statement. “I am thankful for my time here at Alabama. It is a great university and I am so happy to earn a degree from here. I also would like to thank my teammates, coaches, staff and all the Bama fans for supporting me during my career.”
The 7-foot-1 center began playing basketball only two years prior to the start of his college career in Tuscaloosa. He played briefly in the 2012-2013 season before tearing his ACL and receiving a medical redshirt. In his final season with the Crimson Tide, he averaged 1.6 points and 2.5 rebounds per game.
“It was great to have Carl as part of our team the past four years,” Alabama head coach Anthony Grant added. “He has been a great example as a teammate and student-athlete. We certainly wish him the best of luck as he continues his basketball career.”
Before enrolling at Alabama, Engstrom has experience in international competition as a member of the Swedish Under-20 and Under-18 national teams.
Alabama finished 13-19 (7-11 SEC) in 2013-2014.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)