Apr 1, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Ohio’s D.J. Wingfield has been medically disqualified to play for the Bobcats.
Wingfield had surgery on his knee last summer, and while he played in an exhibition game and practiced with the team for much of the season, the fix never took. His career with Ohio is over.
“It was out of the blue. I wasn’t ready for it. He wasn’t ready for it. It just happened,” head coach Jim Christian said.
But here’s the good news: the university is going to honor Wingfield’s scholarship, meaning that he will still receive his education despite being unable to set foot on the court.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 2
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)