Apr 1, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
Matt Carlino has decided to leave BYU, the school announced on Tuesday.
The junior point guard completed his second full season with the Cougars and is on pace to graduate in June. He’ll have one year remaining, and will receive immediate eligibility at his next school per the graduate transfer rule.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity Coach Rose and his staff have given me,” Carlino said in a statement. “I’m also grateful for my teammates, professors and advisors for making my time at BYU such a great experience and for helping me grow so much as a person. Thank you to the fans that have given me so much support. I feel very blessed that I was able to represent BYU.”
This season, Carlino averaged 13.7 points, 4.3 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game for BYU, which reached the NCAA tournament before being eliminated by Oregon in the Round of 64.
“We’re really grateful for Matt’s contribution to the success of our program over the last three years,” BYU head coach Dave Rose said. “We wish Matt and his family the very best in their future endeavors. Matt was a great teammate and will be missed by the coaching staff and players.”
The 6-foot-2 Carlino began his collegiate career at UCLA, though, transferred out midway through his first year. He sat out the first half of the 2011-2012 season due to NCAA transfer rules. He made an immediate impact in the final 25 games for the Cougar, posting averages of 12.2 points, 4.6 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)