Apr 1, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
Matt Carlino has decided to leave BYU, the school announced on Tuesday.
The junior point guard completed his second full season with the Cougars and is on pace to graduate in June. He’ll have one year remaining, and will receive immediate eligibility at his next school per the graduate transfer rule.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity Coach Rose and his staff have given me,” Carlino said in a statement. “I’m also grateful for my teammates, professors and advisors for making my time at BYU such a great experience and for helping me grow so much as a person. Thank you to the fans that have given me so much support. I feel very blessed that I was able to represent BYU.”
This season, Carlino averaged 13.7 points, 4.3 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game for BYU, which reached the NCAA tournament before being eliminated by Oregon in the Round of 64.
“We’re really grateful for Matt’s contribution to the success of our program over the last three years,” BYU head coach Dave Rose said. “We wish Matt and his family the very best in their future endeavors. Matt was a great teammate and will be missed by the coaching staff and players.”
The 6-foot-2 Carlino began his collegiate career at UCLA, though, transferred out midway through his first year. He sat out the first half of the 2011-2012 season due to NCAA transfer rules. He made an immediate impact in the final 25 games for the Cougar, posting averages of 12.2 points, 4.6 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)