Apr 1, 2014, 6:54 PM EST
Matt Carlino has decided to leave BYU, the school announced on Tuesday.
The junior point guard completed his second full season with the Cougars and is on pace to graduate in June. He’ll have one year remaining, and will receive immediate eligibility at his next school per the graduate transfer rule.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity Coach Rose and his staff have given me,” Carlino said in a statement. “I’m also grateful for my teammates, professors and advisors for making my time at BYU such a great experience and for helping me grow so much as a person. Thank you to the fans that have given me so much support. I feel very blessed that I was able to represent BYU.”
This season, Carlino averaged 13.7 points, 4.3 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game for BYU, which reached the NCAA tournament before being eliminated by Oregon in the Round of 64.
“We’re really grateful for Matt’s contribution to the success of our program over the last three years,” BYU head coach Dave Rose said. “We wish Matt and his family the very best in their future endeavors. Matt was a great teammate and will be missed by the coaching staff and players.”
The 6-foot-2 Carlino began his collegiate career at UCLA, though, transferred out midway through his first year. He sat out the first half of the 2011-2012 season due to NCAA transfer rules. He made an immediate impact in the final 25 games for the Cougar, posting averages of 12.2 points, 4.6 assists and 3.0 rebounds per game.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)