Apr 1, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Undefeated Notre Dame qualified for its fourth straight Final Four on Monday night following an 88-69 win over the No. 2 seed Baylor in the Elite 8.
The Fighting Irish enter the Final Four in Nashville without senior forward Natalie Achonwa, who left the game with less than five minutes remaining with a knee injury. Her college career will end where it began, the Edmund P. Joyce Center in South Bend, as it was announced on Tuesday that she had torn her left ACL and is out for the remainder of the tournament.
Anchonwa was third on the team in scoring and the Irish’s top rebounder at 14.9 points, 7.7 boards, 2.8 assists, 1.2 block and 1.1 steals per game.
“Natalie has been an extremely valuable contributor to our success, not only this season but throughout her career, and that won’t change,” Notre Dame head coach Muffet McGraw said in a statement. “While she may not be in uniform, her voice will be heard loud and clear in the locker room, on the bench and in the huddle. I know that our team is going to continue to feed off her energy, passion and leadership as we head into the Final Four.”
Notre Dame is one of two unbeaten teams in the Final Four along with former conference rival UConn.
The Fighting Irish begin the Final Four on Apr. 6, facing the winner of Maryland-Louisville.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This is a pretty nice move from Amile Jefferson.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Wardle spent five seasons as coach at Green Bay.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Will play the winner of Michigan State-Oklahoma.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
Caleb Martin’s only two points of the game.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
Gonzaga defeated UCLA to advance to the Elite 8 for the first time under head coach Mark Few.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT
Andy Toole has been with Robert Morris for five seasons.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:53 PM EDT
Nice big man-to-big man pass.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:32 PM EDT
Class of 2015 five-star center Diamond Stone committed during a surprise announcement on Friday night.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
UNLV freshman Rashad Vaughn addresses NBA Draft rumors.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:28 PM EDT
One of three assists in the first half for Cat Barber.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Aaron Harrison left Thursday night’s game briefly with a finger injury.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
For the second time this month, the Indiana athletic director backed the school’s head coach.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Arizona hasn’t been to the Final Four since 2001, but all involved are focused on Wisconsin and not that streak.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Frazier is projected as a second round pick.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-7 forward has two years of eligibility left.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:36 PM EDT
Rick Barnes has been with Texas for 17 seasons.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:39 PM EDT
Lavin had been with the St. John’s program for five years.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Prohm was one of the hottest names on the coaching carousel.
Mar 27, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Nigel Hayes has become a national sensation this tournament.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Two transfers in one week is not a good thing.
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 0
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)