Apr 1, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt ended her legendary career in 2012. Two years later, her son, Tyler, will begin his college coaching career as he is set to be hired as the Louisiana Tech women’s head coach, the school announced on Tuesday afternoon.
Neither the school nor Summitt commented on the hiring in a press release issued by the school on Tuesday. An introductory press conference is set for noon on Wednesday.
Summitt is only 23-years old, but grew up around his mother and her Tennessee program before enrolling in the university and playing on the men’s basketball team for two seasons. Pat Summitt won 1,098 games and eight National Titles and was inducted in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2000. She was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s before the start of the 2011-2012 season. She retired that April.
Tyler Summitt spent the last two seasons as an assistant coach with the Marquette’s women’s team. He’s taking over a program with a rich tradition, though, the Lady Techsters have dealt with back-to-back losing seasons.
Louisiana Tech finished 12-20 (5-11 Conference USA) this past season. Teresa Weatherspoon was fired as head coach on March 15.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)