Apr 1, 2014, 9:59 PM EST
Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt ended her legendary career in 2012. Two years later, her son, Tyler, will begin his college coaching career as he is set to be hired as the Louisiana Tech women’s head coach, the school announced on Tuesday afternoon.
Neither the school nor Summitt commented on the hiring in a press release issued by the school on Tuesday. An introductory press conference is set for noon on Wednesday.
Summitt is only 23-years old, but grew up around his mother and her Tennessee program before enrolling in the university and playing on the men’s basketball team for two seasons. Pat Summitt won 1,098 games and eight National Titles and was inducted in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2000. She was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s before the start of the 2011-2012 season. She retired that April.
Tyler Summitt spent the last two seasons as an assistant coach with the Marquette’s women’s team. He’s taking over a program with a rich tradition, though, the Lady Techsters have dealt with back-to-back losing seasons.
Louisiana Tech finished 12-20 (5-11 Conference USA) this past season. Teresa Weatherspoon was fired as head coach on March 15.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 6
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)